W., M. Track Falter at Heps

Women Finish Low in Sixth Place

By Killian Lonergan, Special to the Crimson

NEW HAVEN, Conn.--This past weekend the Harvard women's track team ended its short outdoor season with a disappointing sixth place finish at the Heptagonal Championships at Yale.

The team travelled to Yale on Friday with hopes of in the hunt for high places. However, with a score of 30 points from the 20 events contested, the team clearly wasn't able to end the season as it had hoped.

Two weeks ago at New Haven, when Harvard went up against the home school, the Crimson demolished the Elis with some great individual efforts. Unfortunately, despite many superior performances, Harvard found out that the members of the other Ivy teams had also been able to raise their game when it counted.

After the first day of competition, Harvard had yet to score a point and lay in last, tied with two other teams. However, the majority of Saturday's events were only preliminary heats, merely setting the stage for the always-exciting finals on Sunday.

The Crimson were successful in getting a respectable number of women into these finals. Add to this the three relay finals of the day and one could have certainly said that the prospects looked good for a strong showing.

Harvard's top performer was once again co-captain Amanda Williams. She began the day by helping the 4x100 meters relay place third in a time of 48.19 seconds.

The Heptagonal track and field championships regroup all the Ivy League teams and Navy in the meet considered to be the highlight of the outdoor season.

Unfortunately for the Harvard men's track team, Heps turned out to be a complete disaster. With 22 points, the Crimson took last place, 160 points away from the winner, Princeton University.

Out of the 27 members making up the Harvard team, only three contributed to the team score. In the distance events, junior Ian Carswell took first place in the 5,000 meters in 14:21.29, cruising to the finish with an eight-second lead over Princeton's Scott Anderson.

Senior Darin Shearer turned out a strong performance by taking second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase in a close sprint against Columbia's Casey O'Shea. His time of 8:45.02, a personal best, will automatically qualify him for Nationals.

After missing the official standard many times, this is the first trip Shearer will make to Nationals.

"If anybody deserves to go to Nationals, it's Darin," said co-captain Amar Kuchinad, who is a Crimson editor. "He works pretty hard for it."

Shearer's performance did not seem to spur the rest of the team on,

9

SHEARER

SHEARER