Weld, Kerry Brawl in Second Senatorial Debate

ELECTION '96

By Richard M. Burnes, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--Sen. John F. Kerry and Gov. William F. Weld '66 traded one-liners and clashed along traditional party lines last night during a televised debate.

Thousands of viewers from around the state tuned into the debate, which was the second of seven scheduled in this campaign for U.S. Senate.

Both Weld and Kerry tried to lampoon each other's positions in the hopes of gaining the support of Massachusetts voters.

Kerry went to great lengths to associate Weld with the extreme conservatism of House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.), while Weld tried to paint Kerry as part of a stagnant Washington regime.

Their distinctions were most pronounced in the policies they proposed to help America's working poor.

Weld advocated little market intervention, stressing the importance of stimulating economic and wage growth via tax credits for businesses.

Kerry supported more government intervention, attacking Weld for his opposition to raising the minimum wage, which has fallen to its lowest real level since the early 1950s.

"The governor is asking the people to work on minimum wage for three-quarters of the poverty level," Kerry said.

Outside the debate, some 500 employees of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), demonstrated in a steadily-falling rain against Weld's attempts to privatize the transportation industry.

Workers charged that their wages, benefits and jobs would be eroded by downsizing.

"My kids deserve the same kind of education that Bill Weld's do," said Kevin McSweeny, a bus driver from Waltham.

Weld's libertarianism was evident as he contrasted his views on Social Security with Kerry's voting record on the issue.

"I utterly disagree with Senator Kerry that we should invade the Social Security trust fund," Weld said.

Kerry, meanwhile, stressed his support for Social Security but admitted it was in desperate need of reform.

"Everyone who is honest about this knows that in the year 2015 or 2020 [Social Security] won't work," Kerry said.

The candidates also discussed the size of government and the effectiveness of affirmative action hiring policies