COMING SOON TO HARVARD

(GOOD AND FOR NOTHING):

After a vaguely shaky beginning (come on, "The Net"?) Harvard seems to have gotten the formula right, for now--three excellent movies are being presented this weekend and next week, free with a Harvard Summer School ID. And what could be better than a cool, dark movie to help that Fourth of July sunburn heal a bit?

Like Water For Chocolate

directed by Alfonso Arau from the novel by Laura Esquivel Friday and Saturday, July 5 and 6, at 7:30 In the Science Center

Described somewhat unimaginatively on the back of the video-casette box as "an erotic tale of forbidden love" (jackpot!), this lush film got much praise when it debuted a few years ago. Poor Tita and Pedro--so in love, but kept apart by a cruel tradition which stipulates that Tita must remain single and serve her family. A solution seems to present itself when Pedro marries her older sister and Tita serves as their cook--the sexual tension is thicker than flan and a lot hotter too.

WHY GO: This movie is the perfect place to take that special someone you met at the Summer School dance last weekend. Especially because it's free.

Strictly Ballroom

directed by Baz Luhrman Friday and Saturday, July 5 and 6, at 9:30 Science Center

Described a good deal more imaginatively as "exhaustively funny" on its video-cassette box, "Strictly Ballroom" is a catty, hysterical psuedo-documentary which takes a look at the catty, hysterical world of competitive ballroom dancing. Perversely festooned women and frighteningly suntanned men duke it out in this battle of the shallowest, as our hero, the homely Fran, tries to win the heart of a pretty-boy rebel who wants to bring his daring pasa doble to the Australian Grand Prix.

WHY GO: Since Harvard boasts a champion ballroom dancing team itself, all you high-schoolers looking to shine up your resume should watch this movie and probably use the lecture hall desks to take notes. And it's free.

In the Name of the Father

directed by Jim Sheridan starring Daniel Day Lewis Wed, July 10 at the IOP

Gangly Gerald Conlon is a young Northern Irishman going through all the normal foibles of adolescence--stealing scrap metal, starting riots, having his kneecaps threatened by the IRA--until his father ships him to London to 'straighten out'. When a series of IRA bombs terrorizes the city, Gerry is one of four Irishmen wrongly accused, tortured, railroaded, and imprisoned by the nasty Brits. Gerry's da is imprisoned along with Gerry, and later dies in jail, all of which makes for excellent drama and is a great showcase for Lewis' mesmerizing intensity.

WHY GO: Despite a gratuitous appearance by that nastiest of Brits Emma Thompson, this is a phenomenal film. Really, isn't that enough?