Ogletree Is Named Director Of HLS Clinical Programs

By Liz W. Schoyer

Professor of Law Charles J. Ogletree has been named to serve as faculty director of clinical programs, Law School Dean Robert C. Clark announced yesterday.

Ogletree replaces Brandeis Professor of Law Gary G. Bellow, who founded the School's Legal Services Center in 1978, according to a statement from Harvard Law School (HLS).

Ogletree said he plans to implement an "ambitious agenda" that will expand what is already the largest and wealthiest clinical program in the country.

"We will encourage faculty members to offer clinical components, expanding the range of courses," Ogletree said.

He said he hopes to encourage "new creative ways to think about clinical scholarship" through case studies and scholarly presentations.

In addition to helping students secure internships, clinical programs allow law students to assume responsibility for cases, providing free services to needy clients, according to Law School spokesperson Mike Chmura.

The school has three clinics: the Harvard Immigration and Refugee Clinic, the Hale Dorr Legal Services Center and the Criminal Justice Institute, which Ogletree has directed since 1990, according to the statement.

Course opportunities at the Legal Services Center include administrative law, community economic development, delivery of legal services, family law, the lawyering process, mediation and social welfare policy.

The center serves more than 2,500 clients a year, according to the statement.

Clinical Program Director Cheryl Berg Rusk said she is confident that Ogletree will "continue what was started by Bellow, while moving forward."

Bellow steps down after four years as director but will remain active at the Law School, Rusk said.

Ogletree said he will continue teaching courses on child advocacy, juvenile justice and professional responsibility.