Schell's Games

Schell-Shocked

By Connor Schell

What are the NFL schedule makers thinking?

After giving us a number of fabulous match-ups last week (an unheard-of four games between unbeaten teams), this week offers a large array of terrible games.

I feel bad that my inaugural NFL prediction column deals with such utterly uninteresting football. If you're after a competitive game, check out today's Notre Dame-Ohio State clash.

Game of the Week: Dallas at Philadelphia. This one should be worth missing Melrose for. The world champions are 1-3 and falling fast while the Eagles (3-1) have already asserted themselves as the lone power in the weak NFC East.

However, I would not count the Cowboys out yet. This is an absolute must-win game for them and it will decide their season.

If the Cowboys can somehow come away with a win, they have a much-needed bye week just around the corner, and then Michael Irvin will be back catching TD passes.

All of a sudden, they might start thinking playoffs and maybe even Super Bowl again. On the other hand, if they lose, with San Francisco, Miami and Green Bay all still on the schedule, the prospect of a post-season looks bleak.

Look for Barry Switzer to punt on fourth and one and Emmitt Smith to have his first good game since January and the Cowboys to come away with an upset. In order for that to happen, the Cowboys beat-up defense must contain Ricky Watters who has asserted himself as the league's premier all-purpose back.

The Best of the Rest: Houston at Pittsburgh. This matchup of division leaders will determine the early front-runner in the AFC Central. It might also show the country if Pittsburgh can win with Mike Tomczak at the helm.

Although the Steelers will look to Jerome Bettis to carry most of the offensive load, Tomczak will be forced to occasionally throw the ball against what might be considered the league's best secondary. The Oilers secondary has already produced eight takeaways in just three games and I think that they may keep up that pace against Pittsburgh's feeble passing offense.

If Houston can contain Bettis, then they will win this game. Even though no one in Houston has noticed, the country is starting to realize that the Oilers are a good team. Take Houston with the five points.

Kansas City at San Diego. The Chiefs have now won 15 straight against their division, and I wouldn't look for that streak to end here.

Even though Kansas City is beat up, particularly at the wide receiver spot, they continue to find a way to win games, at least in the regular season that is. Right now, the Chiefs are the AFC's best club and the fact that they are two point underdogs against the Chargers is a joke. Kansas City will win this showcase of the game's two best linebackers, Junior Seau and Derrick Thomas.

The only other meaningful games this week will be in Jacksonville and D.C. Carolina will bring their 3-0 record to Jacksonville and when they win this game, they will put a tremendous amount of pressure on the rest of their division to keep pace.

The same can be said for the Redskins who put their 3-1 record on the line against the Jets. Look for the Skins to add to the Jets woes and put themselves in a good spot for a playoff run.