University Installs New Safety Phones

Students Hail Increased Security From Seven Blue-Light Equipped Emergency Centrexes

By Adam S. Hickey

New phones with brighter lights have popped up all through Harvard Yard as part of the University's response to heightened safety concerns.

Seven outdoor Centrex phones, which are equipped with emergency call buttons and flashing blue lights have been installed.

"I'm thrilled. The phones are a huge improvement. I'm thrilled to see the University making an effort to improve safety," said Elizabeth A. Haynes '98 who as Student Affairs Committee chair of the Undergraduate Council fought for increased safety measures last year.

Each phone cost about $600 plus labor, said Merle A. Bicknell, manager of Harvard Yard.

New software allows the University's maintenance specialists to monitor the phones remotely to ensure they are functioning, and an internal heater will keep the keypad from freezing--a problem which occured during last year's harsh winter.

The University removed three phones from the Yard that were difficult to access. There are now 26 in the Yard, and one more will be installed near Johnston Gate within a month, Bicknell said.

"We're trying them out. Assuming they function as well as we think they're going to and assuming the Harvard community likes them, any new phones will probably be these phones, and we'll probably begin [phasing older ones] out," she said, emphasizing the desire for consistency in the phone system.

"We want students to be able to walk up and know where the emergency button is," Bicknell said.

The drive for more campus phones began about two years ago, amidst discussions by the Security Subcommittee of the Joint Committees on College Life and House Life.

Robert L. Mortimer, associate director of Building Services, who sat on the subcommittee, emphasized that students played a major role in the addition of phones.

"There were a lot of undergraduates who were helpful on this," Mortimer said.

The phones were added after testing several prototypes, one of which was placed in front of Weld Hall last year.

The University needed to obtain approval from the Cambridge Historical Commission, because "the [Old] Yard is an historic landmark," Bicknell said.

Students approved of the additions, but said more phones would be even better.

"What phones? I expected them to be everywhere, but they're not," said Matthews Hall resident David T. Horn '00.

Canaday resident Janson Wu '00 said, "I do usually have to search for one. At B.U. [Boston University] you could stand in a place and always see a blue light."

Both Horn and Wu said they consider the phones a convenience more than a safety measure.

Haynes, who served on the security subcommittee two years ago, said more improvements could be made.

"I should be able to recognize the face of a person approaching me," she said, citing the need for even more lighting.

Sarah E. Flatley, assistant dean of students, said she welcomes student input.

"The Dean of Students is always concerned about the safety of the students and we're eager to have them talk about their concerns and suggestions."