Lighting Upgraded in Quincy House

Quincy House is a little brighter this reading period thanks to the addition of 500 new light fixtures.

The new energy-saving fluorescent bulbs were installed at a cost of $75,000 in the bedrooms, common rooms and stairwells of new Quincy over the College's winter break.

Although renovations were only completed on the fifth and sixth floors, workers hope to have the project completed by the end of spring break, said Capital Project Manager Hank Brogna.

Students in the house said they are pleased with the new lights flooding their living quarters.

"They give off more lights than the last ones did," Ezra W. Reese '97 said. "We are used to having almost no light at all, so we are thrilled to have them."

Although many students had purchased lamps, they said the new lights complement their halogen bulbs.

"We had gotten used to supplying our own light so the improvements were hard to notice at first, but it's definitely nicer," Seth O. Richards '97 said. "The bedrooms are brighter."

Brogna said he knew the project was successful because many Quincy students have complimented their superintendent on the new fixtures.

"It feels good to hear that after all of our work," Brogna said.