Beacon Hill Moves Past 'Real World'

Fire station that housed Generation X cast now for sale

By Courtney A. Coursey, SPECIAL TO THE CRIMSON

BOSTON-This is the true story of one fire station picked to be the place where seven people lived and had their lives taped to see what happens when people stop being polite and start being real during the filming of MTV's "The Real World."

The popular Generation X program-billed by MTV as an "acclaimed reality-based soap opera"-occupied a historic fire station in Beacon Hill from January until June.

But the horde of hipsters has departed the neighborhood, leaving behind indifferent community members and a city left to decide what to do with the fire station.

An employee at Rebecca's Bakery, located a block away from the house, was less than complimentary of the show's cast and crew.

"[The cast members] were annoying and so were the cameras," the bakery employee said.

"I hate MTV, and I hate "The Real World," he added, asking not to be named. "There was nothing real about it."

The program, which continues to air Wednesday nights at 10 p.m. on MTV, chose The Hub as the site of its sixth season.

And the now-empty fire station, located at the corner of River and Mt. Vernon streets, has become a hot commodity in the pricy Beacon Hill neighborhood.

The city of Boston, which owns the property, made a request for proposals from groups and individuals interested in purchasing the property "about two months ago," according to Tom J. Philbin, spokesperson for the Boston Department of Neighborhood Development, which manages the property.

A committee "put together within city government" has been reviewing seven proposals from individuals and groups and will announce on Oct. 7 who will be allowed to buy the property.

Three proposals would convert the old fire station into a private residence, and one would transform the facility into elderly housing, Philbin said.

And one man is seeking to use the building's large open space-formerly used to house fire engines-into a place to store his antique auto collection. Another man submitted a proposal to use the same space to house his personal library.

Both men proposed to live in the upper levels of the station.

The final proposal came from a neighborhood group seeking to convert the fire station into a community center.

Philbin said the proposals would be judged on "financing, community use and compatibility with the neighboring residences."

The fire station is expected to be sold by the city for approximately $500,000, Philbin said.

The fire station was under the control of the Boston Fire Department until MTV moved in seven young people this January.

"The fire engines had been taken out several years ago," said Steve MacDonald, spokesperson for the Boston Fire Department.

MacDonald said that the station was serving in a "support service" capacity prior to the department's relinquishing control.

MTV rented the building for six months, MacDonald said.

Philbin said MTV paid "fair market rent" during the six-month period, though he declined to say how much that was.

But a nearby Beacon Hill broker speculated that the property probably drew $4,000 per month in rent.

Philbin characterized MTV's renting the property as a "win-win situation" in part because of the renovations MTV made to the station.

MTV insulated the station, put in air conditioning, sound-proofed the station, installed new windows and updated the electrical systems.

Philbin said he received no complaints from neighbors during the show's filming.

This season of "The Real World" features "seven young adults-sharing their lives, their values, a house and energy when they volunteer in a children's after school program," according to the MTV news release.