The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained
Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned
Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands
Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square
107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is governed by a sometimes mysterious and complex set of rules and regulations. To facilitate understanding of the Faculty's power structure, The Crimson presents a chart of the FAS hierarchy:
Dean of the Faculty
Jeremy R. Knowles
* Decides undergraduate tuition
* Subject to President Neil L. Rudenstine's approval, chooses all FAS professors
* Governing body of the Faculty, composed of 20 members elected by all Faculty of Arts and Sciences professors to staggered three-year terms
* The Faculty Council, whose secretary is John B. Fox Jr. '59, looks over all proposals sent to the Faculty and sets the docket for the monthly full Faculty meetings
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
* Meets monthly in the historic Faculty Room in University Hall
* Must approve all major curricular and administrative changes, such as Core reform and the number of summa cum laude degrees
* Motions need a majority to pass
* Forward recommendation for tenure to Knowles.
* Recommend students for honor designations.
* Including the Core, Undergraduate Education and Educational Policy Committee (EPC)
* This semester, the EPC is considering reducing undergraduate requirements
Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.