INTERNATIONAL CAREERS TODAY

By The CRIMSON Staff

Over the past twenty five years the concept of an international career has changed dramatically. Today, it is difficult to talk about any career without thinking globally. An international career can mean almost anything you want it to, in any field, in any corner of the world. Whether you intend to work in education or business, law or medicine, public service or the arts, and whether you see yourself working in Bangkok, Boston or Boise, your choices will not only include, but must certainly take into account, the international marketplace of the 21st century. Your products, your colleagues, and your responsibilities will all belong to this worldwide, increasingly interdependednt and interconnected network. It will, in fact, become ever more difficult to create and manage a professional career that is not international in at least one or several of its dimensions. And so, it is now not simply a question of choosing an international career, but rather, of actively developing your career internationally.

Preparation for this global future will allow you more control over your involvement in this ever changing international workforce. Your knowledge of other languages and cultures, your experience in different settings and environments, your ability to think and to act across geographic borders and traditional discipline boundaries will all be important ingredients not only in the choices available to you but in your overall success in whatever profession or jobs you may be working.

Training and experience are both crucial elements. While in school, take advantage of courses focusing on languages, regions of the world, international policies and problems. Consider including a study abroad term in your undergradate career, or the possibilities of summer, leave of absence or post-graduate jobs, internships or volunteer positions in another country. These are all viable and readily available routes to help you acquire both international training and experience. The possibilities are abundant.

Use the resources available to you now to begin forming a long-term plan for your own professional goals. Start making contacts with people who may have exciting and useful knowledge or information to share with you now, and in the future. Keep informed about the international dimensions of the who, what and where in fields of interest to you. The Harvard libraries and community offer invaluable informational sources.

As an excellent starting point, the Career Foru/Study Abroad Fair may give you an opportunity to look at some possible employers and academic options that suit your needs. Whether your conversation is with someone from the Peace Corps, London School of Economics, or the "Wall Street corps," you'll be able to learn a great deal both about what is out there and what may be of interest to you.

The many resources of the Office of Career Services can also help get you started or keep you going along your international path. Through the numerous group meetings which are offered, the employment directories available in the Reading Room, the specific study, internship, or employment programs which are administered, the fellowships to help you pay for them, or, most importantly, OCS advisors right here in Cambridge or alumni advisors around the country and the world, there is a wealth of information and support available to you.

International careers are no longer just the "stuff that dreams are made of;" they are an ever more important reality of the world we live in. But with planning and preparation, dream and reality can become one and the same thing in the international career you envision.