PUBLIC SERVICE

By Susan Vacca and Bill Wright-swadel

One of the best kept secrets of the OCS Career and Study Abroad Forum is its value to students interested in careers which take advantage of an interest in and commitment to public service. The current mythology among students is that the Forum only benefits "those corporate types." Well the fact is that there is much to gain at the Forum for those of you who are looking to find ways to exercise your service orientation.

The most obvious connection is through the range of specific employers who come committed to the field of community and public service. The areas of international development, education, community development, and international leadership are all represented. Employers such as World Teach, US Peace Corps, Visions in Action, Americorps, Teach for America are all there seeking to share information concerning their own organization and the full range of opportunities in their fields. Many of the reps are Harvard alumni(ae) who have worked in several settings in addition to working with their current employers -- and they are very willing to share these experiences as well. Whether you are a senior exploring post-graduation options or a first year seeking to learn about internships or summer jobs, the opportunities to learn are there.

Beyond the specific options associated with the not-for-profit community, the Forum provides a chance to learn about the for profit community as well. Do the employers engage in community or public service? Do they encourage pro bono work among their staff? Have students come to work with them and then used the skills they developed to move into leadership roles in the not-for-profit or international service arenas? Can two years with a consulting organization lead to graduate education in fields other than business school? Where have their alumni(ae) gone? The reality is that many individuals plan their career several steps into the future. They look at their initial commitment after graduation as a stage for solidifying a set of skills that will empower them in the educational and leadership roles that they desire in the future. The forum is a great place to learn about pathways that are diverse rather than tracks that encumber!

So if you are completely undecided about where to go next, if you have a clear idea what you want to do in public service, or if you simply want to experience the give and take of questions asked and answers given with a wide array of employers -- join the 2000 other Harvard students who will be listening and learning through informal interaction with representatives of more than 120 organizations interested in hearing your questions and sharing their thoughts. Remember many of the reps were in class at Harvard only a couple of years ago (maybe even last year) and join in the exchange.

After the Forum, stop by OCS to meet with one of the counselors. Talk about how the Forum helped or how it confused you more or ask additional questions. All of the counselors are interested in public & community service and how it relates to your areas of interest. For instance, Dena Rakoff sees students interested in education/teaching as well as students exploring such options as public interest law. Wilson Hunt talks to students interested in environmental careers. Dana Curtis discusses careers in public policy, as well as careers in entertainment and the media. Nancy Saunders counsels in the area of not-for-profit management, in addition to business summer jobs and the Harvard College Internship Program (HCIP). Each of the other counselors can talk with you about ways you can pursue work that fits your values. Gail Gilmore has a special interest in careers associated with community and public service, in addition to counseling in the visual and performing arts. Finally, Susan Vacca is available in the career resource library to assist you in assessing your needs and researching options in public & community service.

As you can see, all of the counselors at OCS are available to assist you with your professional development.

Good luck and have fun at the Forum!