STUDY ABROAD AT HARVARD

By Josephine JANE Pavese

Have you considered spending time abroad during your four years at Harvard? Why not get credit for your studies? While Harvard does not sponsor its own programs overseas, the University encourages students to spend time abroad. About 150 Harvard students studied abroad in 1996-97 in 30 different countries and received Harvard degree credit for their academic work. Harvard grants credit for academic study abroad representing a unique and compelling educational opportunity not ordinarily available to a student at the College. So, for example, Harvard students study classical archaeology in Rome, rain forest ecology in Cairns, arts and literature in Cape Town, and advanced Chinese language in Beijing.

THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT STUDY ABROAD:

1. CAN HARVARD STUDENTS STUDY ABROAD FOR HARVARD CREDIT?

Yes. Any student who is in good standing at the College may petition to receive degree credit for academic studies abroad.

2. WHERE DO HARVARD STUDENTS STUDY ABROAD?

Harvard students study abroad in Africa, Latin America, East Asia, Russia, and Australia. In Western Europe, Great Britain, France, Italy, and Spain are popular destinations.

3. HOW DOES A STUDENT ARRANGE TO STUDY IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY?

Generally, about 75% of Harvard students who study abroad do so through programs; there are many fine study abroad programs sponsored by U.S. universities and educational organizations that are approved by Harvard, and students discover new ones every year. The remainder of Harvard students who study abroad apply directly to foreign institutions as visiting students, usually in English-speaking countries. In all cases, the Harvard faculty encourages students to integrate themselves as fully as possible in the academic, linguistic, and cultural environment of the host country.

4. DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE LANGUAGE PREPARATION TO STUDY ABROAD?

In French-, Spanish-, and German-speaking countries, Harvard requires that students have at least two years of university-level training or the equivalent in the language before departure and that all courses be taken in that language. For most other non-English-speaking countries, a year of language study is required prior to study abroad, even in countries where the language of instruction at educational institutions may be in English. There is no language requirement for English-speaking destinations.

5. WHAT DO HARVARD STUDENTS STUDY ABROAD?

Many students go abroad to perfect their foreign language skills, and to learn about the many dimentions of a country's culture through academic study in areas such as history, politics, economics, literature, and religion. There are also field study programs abroad designed for those with a special interest in marine biology, environmental science, or anthropology, as well as programs located in the perfect environment for the study of art history and studio arts, architecture, and classics. In all cases, at least half of a student's proposed course must relate to the host country.

6. WHEN DO HARVARD STUDENTS STUDY ABROAD DURING THEIR UNDERGRADUATE YEARS?

The majority of students who study abroad do so during the junior year; the remainder study either during spring of sophomore year or the first semester of senior year. Summer study is also an option for some students.

7. HOW LONG DO STUDENTS SPEND STUDYING ABROAD?

The majority of Harvard students study abroad for one semester, but some also spend an entire academic year away. Year-long programs are encouraged, especially for the learning of foreign languages; however, students have many commitments at Harvard and so may be unable to spend a full year abroad. As with year-long programs, students who study abroad for one semester find that their time away provides extraordinary academic and personal rewards. Students who study abroad during the summer also find the time away extremely helpful to meet certain goals best suited to a short-term program.

8. HOW DOES A STUDENT GET CREDIT FOR STUDY ABROAD?

Students petition Harvard College for pre-approval of the academic work they propose to do out of residence. Petitions must be submitted to the Study Out of Residence Adviser at the Office of Career Services prior to departure; a Faculty Committee then reviews the petitions for pre-approval. The Study Out of Residence Adviser is available to counsel students throughout all stages of research and planning for an international experience: selection of a program or overseas university, possible course options, and the petition process. Upon completion of the study abroad program, a final transcript of grades is sent to the Study Out of Residence Office; it is reviewed by faculty and administrators for final approval and the credit for work done overseas is processed through the Registrar's Office.

9. WHAT KIND OF CREDIT IS GRANTED?

Students can earn both concentration and elective credit for study abroad.

10. CAN STUDY ABROAD COURSES BE USED TO FULFILL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS?

Specific requirements for a concentration may be fulfilled by study abroad, with prior approval of the concentration; this is determined through the petition process. The Foreign Cultures requirement, one of the Core Course requirements at Harvard, may also be fulfilled by a comprehensive program of course work about a foreign culture taught in the foreign language; students petition the Core Office for Foreign Cultures credit.

11. WHAT DOES HARVARD CHARGE STUDENTS FOR STUDY ABROAD?

Students who study abroad are officially on a leave of absence from the University, and are not charged fees during their term(s) away.

12. CAN FINANCIAL AID BE USED FOR STUDY ABROAD?

Yes! Harvard College believes that all students should have equal access to the opportunity to study abroad. Financial aid can be used to cover the expenses of a study abroad program.

13. HOW MUCH DOES STUDY ABROAD COST?

Some students report that they can save money when they study abroad, but the cost of study abroad depends entirely on the program and country selected.

Harvard students have the freedom to select from many programs and universities in designing a semester or year abroad that meets their objectives. To find out more about study abroad programs, visit the Study Abroad Fair at the Career Forum, Friday, 18 October 1996 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Gordon Track and Tennis Center, and plan to attend one of the frequent study abroad orientation meetings held at OCS.