Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line


At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions


Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists


‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam


‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Lowell Man Arrested In Killing of Woman

* 23-year-old was shot while waiting for bus with children

By Courtney A. Coursey, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Cambridge police yesterday arrested Richard Kenney, 35, who is accused of shooting to death a woman in Lowell, Mass., yesterday morning, in what was reportedly a domestic incident.

Annie Glenn, a 23-year-old mother, was shot while waiting with her children at the bus stop yesterday morning.

She died with two of her children clinging to her hands.

Cambridge police made the arrest yesterday at the corner of Sixth and Spring streets with the help of Massachusetts State Police, said Cambridge Police spokesperson Frank T. Pasquarello.

Kenney had fled from Lowell in a motor vehicle, Pasquarello said.

The Lowell police then contacted nearby cities and towns with a description of Kenney and the vehicle, a black Mercury Cougar, in which he fled.

A Cambridge parking control officer, who heard the license plate numbers of the suspect's car while watching television, recognized the numbers as those of a car she had ticketed earlier in the day.

The 1982 Cougar was registered to Annie Glenn in New Hampshire.

The traffic control officer then contacted the Cambridge police, who placed the car under surveillance.

When Kenney attempted to enter the car about half an hour later, he was surrounded by about 10 officers and arrested, Pasquarello said.

Kenney was arrested on the charge of suspicion of murder, said Lowell Police Capt. Arthur Ryan.

After being booked at the Cambridge Police Department, Kenney was returned to Lowell. Kenney will be arraigned today, Ryan said.

Glenn was shot twice in the head and once in the upper body.

The shooting was witnessed by 16 other children who were waiting at the bus stop.

According to Lowell Police Chief Ed Davis, there were no current restraining orders against Kenney.

However, Glenn had filed for two temporary restraining orders against Kenney in 1994, WBZ-TV reported.

Glenn wrote on one of the orders dated Oct. 9, 1994: "He knows I'm afraid of him and every time I tell him I want him out or I'm going to call the cops, he tells me, 'I'm going to kill you.'"

Glenn had ended her relationship with Kenney and moved from New Hampshire to Lowell about two months ago, according to godmother Lela Boykins Hall.

"She was at the House of Hope because the relationship had ended," Hall said. "She tried to be a good mother to them. She said she left...It was not safe for her children or for her."

Two other women in Massachusetts, one in Brockton and the other in Everett, had current restraining orders against Kenney.

Kenney had been convicted previously for other crimes.

He had several outstanding warrants for crimes including cocaine possession, receiving stolen property and motor vehicle violations, Davis said.

Glenn had been staying with her children at the House of Hope, shelter for homeless families a few blocks away from the scene of the shooting.

Glenn had been living at the shelter for three or four weeks, another resident of the shelter said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.