Rico Suave With a Reggae Twist

SHAGGY Midnite Lover Virgin Records

By Kamil E. Redmond, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

With a funky mix of dance hall reggae and sugar pop, Mr. Boombastic (a.k.a. Shaggy) is back with a new CD, Midnite Lover. Shaggy has taken the concept of Jamaican reggae to another level by mixing heavily constructed R&B, rap and heavy bass beats. Radio D.J.'s love to play it, the kids on the street try to imitate it and the club floors pound with Shaggy's honey-coated voice. Midnite Lover does not stray from the typical Shaggy tradition; it works because it is Shaggy, rather than just another Jamaican reggae artist who is attempting to capitalize off of the commercialization of the music

The album opens with "My Dream." Shaggy eases his listeners in with this song which has obviously been influenced by the recent success of Sean "Puffy" Combs and entourage. The beat is simple but infectious and the lyrics resonate with references to cash, female body parts and luxury cars. Some of the lines that Shaggy wails to his female audience include the classic: "Tickle up me fancy with you sweet smelling leather/Smooth like silk you could be rough like a feather." Obviously, these are not some of the most insightful comments on romanticism and relationships between the sexes, but he manages to carry it off without seeming ridiculous or oversexed. Shaggy is a master at setting the mood, and the listener might as well accept that the mood is sultry, sexy and slightly sycophantic.

The next track is "Perfect Song" featuring Maxi Priest. This is arguably one of most danceable songs on the CD. In blaringly typical Jammin' 94.5 form, the tune manages to combine elements of rap (yikes!), stylized, manufactured background beats and Maxi Priest, doing what he does best--crooning to the ladies. It is the type of melody that one's 13-year-old sister will definitively memorize and manage to sing along to every time (and that will be every five minutes) it is played. "Perfect Song" will be played at every party because it will definitely keep one booty-shaking.

Now most listeners probably would not think that Shaggy has anything to do with the '60s rock generation. His threads are too natty, his music too produced and his lyrics just too ridiculous to be associated with the raw, sensual guitars and edgy lyrics that characterized music of the late '60s and early '70s. Well, gentle listener, you are wrong. Yes, that is Shaggy doing a re-make of Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart" (actually, he has two versions on the CD--the regular radio mix and an "urban re-mix"). Shaggy has committed sacrilege by performing the song and it is not any good. Presumably one of the worse songs on the CD, Shaggy has taken it upon himself to do a remix of this classic song with vocals by a singer named Marsha in the tradition of Mariah Carey. Both Shaggy and Marsha are completely off the mark, this song which was quintessential Janis Joplin just does not work as a reggae version. An examination of Shaggy's lyrics reveal such sensitive statements as: "Easy on the tears(oops)/Mine you spoil the suit/Do yourself a favor/And find a new recruit/Don't take it personal because you got the boot." Hmmmm.... Not necessarily one's typical music choice.

Recovering from this dead-beat track, Shaggy resurrects Mianite Lover with the song "Sexy Body Girls." The title is slightly sleazy and less than appealing to the feminist consciousness but the track itself makes up for any labeling deficiencies. "Sexy Body Girls" is real dance-hall reggae. This is Shaggy at his best with nothing but pure melody set against a background of intense drum beats with almost jungle-like heavy bass. The song appeals to everyone from religiously fanatic reggae fans to those who occasionally appreciate an obscure reggae track. No doubt, people are in for a complete surprise with this song. It gives Shaggy credibility as a real reggae artist even if the rest of Midnite Lover delves heavily into the seemingly unfamiliar realms or hip-hop and rap.

One of Shaggy's talents is that he manages to integrate the faster tracks with an occasional slow, almost mellifluous song. "Tender Love" is, as its name so aptly suggests, very tender and gentle. This is Shaggy's song of praise to the "forgotten, abused and so often neglected black woman." Shaggy lets the men out there know that if you aren't treating your woman with the utmost respect, he is ready, waiting (and very eager) to take your place. During a break in the lyrics, a hypnotic guitar strain emerges as Shaggy serenades one extremely lucky lady (known only by the systematic pants she gives in the background). This song is not probably one that will receive a lot of air time on any radio station, but it is quite good especially for a romantic evening with flowers, dinner and that special someone.... Yeah, its Velveeta cheesy, but if Shaggy can get away with it, so can you.

Midnite Lover is not a hard-core rap CD intent upon making a social or political commentary, nor is it the work of a master crooner doing his imitation of early '90s Boys to Men. Midnite Lover is simply Shaggy doing what he does best--entertaining. The songs are mostly good, some great and some, like "Peace of My Heart," absolutely detestable. Shaggy has become rich off of his ability to promote his sexuality and appeal to the ladies and my guess is that he will be doing it for years to come.