Kofi Annan To Speak at Harvard

By Tara L. Colon, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Kofi Annan, the secretary general of the United Nations, will join 20 other world experts on November 13 at a conference entitled "Conflict or Convergence: Global Perspectives on War, Peace, and International Order," which will be held in Science Center C.

Annan is scheduled to give the keynote speech at the conference, which is designed to address the most pressing international and global issues of today, according to herhead University professor Samuel P. Huntington.

"We're honored to have [Annan] come," said University Marshal Richard M. Hunt. The Marshal's office is one of the sponsors of the event.

"[Annan] is following in a line of past secretary generals who have come to Harvard in recent history. It is a tradition," Hunt added.

According to Huntington, speakers at the conference will address many world issues including distribution of power, threats to international stability, uses and misuses of military force and the characteristics of a desirable world environment.

The speakers "will be coming to the conference to present the intellectual and political opinions of their countries or regions," Huntington said.

Annan is scheduled to speak on "War, Peace and the United Nations," and in his speech he may include his vision of the U.N.'s place in international politics.

Annan's major goal as Secretary General is U.N. reform, according to a U.N. press release.

"My reforms are intended to create a U.N. that embodies unity of purpose, coherence of efforts and the agility and ability to meet the mounting challenges of the nations and peoples of the world," Annan said in the press release.

The United Nations is "positioned to take on the new challenges and global challenges as we move into the 21st century," Annan said.

In addition to discussing global issues, "the conference is in part to celebrate the first 10 years of the [Harvard] Academy," said Huntington.

The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies sponsors events on international issues and hosts speakers.

Many members of the Academy will be returning to speak at the conference.

In addition to the Marshal's Office and the Harvard Academy, the Harvard Foundation is also involved in sponsoring the event.

After the conference, Annan will attend a reception, sponsored by the Harvard Foundation at Phillips Brooks House