Senior Honored in D.C.

* Lowell House resident receives 'Latinas of Promise' award

By Caitlin E. Anderson, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

When Leticia M. Sanchez '98 caught a glimpse of President Clinton on Tuesday, the Lowell House English concentrator said she could not repress her excitement.

Later that day, Tipper Gore told Sanchez she often felt the same way.

Sanchez met Gore in Washington D.C. this week as one of five nationwide recipients of the Latinas of Promise award sponsored by Moderna Magazine.

The award recognizes Latina College women on the basis of academic achievement, leadership and service to the community.

During their two days in the capital, the honorees toured the city and met Gore and Southern California Congressional Representative Lucille Royball-Allard.

"It was truly an honor for me," Sanchez said.

Gore spoke with the honorees about issues that are particularly relevant to female leaders, such as balancing a career in politics with having a family.

"Gore told us about the importance of choosing your issues [and] focusing your energy," Sanchez said.

Gore and Sanchez also chatted about their experiences with Harvard.

"She got a kick out of hearing that I lived in Mower freshman year, which is where her husband lived," Sanchez said.

Sanchez, whose interests include diplomacy, government and writing, said that her trip opened her eyes to the realities of a career in politics.

"Seeing the energy of D.C. made me really think about politics more than I ever had before," Sanchez said.

Sanchez's political activities on campus include the Institute of Politics, the Women's Leadership conference and the Harvard-Radcliffe Alliance for Life.

She is also an active member in the religious community of St. Paul's Catholic Church, according to Jacqueline L. Landry, chaplain to undergraduate students.

"Leticia is drawn to a spirituality that is very grounded in social justice," Landry said.

Sanchez combines her faith with her commitment to social justice in the Earthen Vessels, a St. Paul's outreach tutoring program that pairs undergraduates with teens from Roxbury and Dorchester.

According to Marie-Claude Thompson, director of Earthen Vessels and a chaplain at St. Paul's Sanchez's help has been invaluable.

"The child she was tutoring is at high risk of just dropping out of school, and tal, really, in keeping the child going," Thompson said.

Sanchez's family is also very important to her-in fact, it was her 18-year-old sister who nominated her for the award.

"It was an eloquent letter, from someone who has known me for all my life," Sanchez said.

Both sisters are regular readers of Moderna Magazine, a publication geared toward "the upwardly mobile young Latina woman," according to Sanchez