Technician Shortage Foreseen

UNIVERSITY WIRE

By Cynde Cerf, DAILY UTAH CHRONICLE

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah-Students going to computer labs at university campuses may be finding it more and more difficult to get help.

The Information Technology Association of America recently surveyed large and medium companies and found one out of every 10 computing jobs at information-technology companies is unfilled due to a nationwide shortage of suitable workers. Colleges and universities may be having the toughest time in the shortage.

The primary concern among universities is having adequate computer lab support, according the Sept. 5 issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Forty-six percent fewer students are getting computer science degrees. In 1986, about 42,000 people graduated with computer science degrees in the United States. But in 1995, only 24,404 people went through computer science programs, according to the U.S. Department of Education.

The fact that there are less students in the computer science field may be the least of university worries. Universities, also must compete for well-educated lab technicians in the tightening market.