W. Soccer Struts Stuff in Virginia

Harvard bests No. 14, ties No. 11 in road tourney

By Katherine E. Wagner, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Never underestimate the underdog.

In the wake of a devastating 3-2 loss to Ivy nemesis Yale early last week, the women's soccer team (5-2-2, 1-1 Ivy) proved this weekend that it has what it takes to win against national caliber teams.

The Crimson delivered solid performances against both No. 11 George mason and No. 14 Maryland, returning to Cambridge with a win and a tie for its effort.

"This weekend we played really well," said sophomore Gina Foster. "Our team definitely picked it up. It was the best we have played all season."

Participants at this weekend's George Mason/Umbro Classic would likely agree.

Initially, however, it appeared that nationally unranked Harvard would be unable to compete against such powerful opponents.

In Friday's 1-1 tie against George Mason, the Crimson initially proved the rankings committee correct when it failed to answer its opponent's early goal. A loss seemed imminent.

With just over a minute of play remaining, however, sophomore Beth Zotter gave Harvard a much needed goal, shocking the Patriots.

"Playing George Mason first was a big game for us," Foster said. "We really had to pick up our level of play."

The Crimson dominated George Mason in the second half and the overtime, outshooting their opponents 20-13 overall.

Although neither team produced a goal during the double-overtime period, Harvard was not unhappy with the stalemate.

Having regained both momentum and confidence, Harvard cruised easily to a 3-1 victory Sunday against Maryland.

In the beginning it wasn't that easy, however. A goal by sophomore Ashley Berman in the 37th minute of play was quickly answered by the Terrapins.

The Crimson was unwilling to settle for another tie and took the lead for good when Berman netted her second goal of the match with less than a minute remaining in the first half. Senior Lindsey Minkus added the insurance goal at 85:10 to solidify the victory.

For a team that has suffered intermittently throughout the season from an inability to score, the Maryland win was a resounding triumph. The combination of an aggressive, unyielding offense and a solid and powerful defense proved a winning combination.

"One of the big differences this weekend was that our defense held it together really well," said captain Rebe Glass. "It wasn't just an effort buy the offense. We got our goals when they counted-the kind of goals we've been deserving and haven't gotten-so to finally get them was great. But it was definitely an overall team effort to step up our game."

"I think that as a whole our team was on a different level this weekend," Foster said. "We played with so much intensity, and it made a big difference for us. Things just seemed to come together."

With renewed spirit and confidence, Harvard looks to face Connecticut this Wednesday.

"We're really excited about UConn," Glass said. "We're hoping to come out very strong from the first whistle-the way we ended against Maryland. If we can do that we can play with any team."

Having proved itself capable of competing against soccer's elite, Harvard must rise to its next challenge tomorrow afternoon against nationally ranked UConn. TIE, 1-1 at Fairfax, VA George Mason  1  0  0  0  0  --  1 Harvard  0  1  0  0  --  1

Scoring

GM-Hampton (J. Jones) 31:12.

Har-Zotter (Foster, Bingham) 88:16

Saves:

Har-Burney 5; GM-Pagliarlo

HARVARD, 3-1 at Fairfax, VA Harvard  2  1  --  3 Maryland  1  0  --  1

Scoring:

Har-Berman (Blain, Miller) 36:19

Mary-Harbo (Sarver) 38:55

Har-Berman (Miller, Bingham) 44:01

Har-Minkus (Miller, Bingham) 85:10

Saves:

Har-Burney 3; Mary-Wolff 1, Serrins 1.

Scoring

GM-Hampton (J. Jones) 31:12.

Har-Zotter (Foster, Bingham) 88:16

Saves:

Har-Burney 5; GM-Pagliarlo

Scoring:

Har-Berman (Blain, Miller) 36:19

Mary-Harbo (Sarver) 38:55

Har-Berman (Miller, Bingham) 44:01

Har-Minkus (Miller, Bingham) 85:10

Saves:

Har-Burney 3; Mary-Wolff 1, Serrins 1.

Scoring:

Har-Berman (Blain, Miller) 36:19

Mary-Harbo (Sarver) 38:55

Har-Berman (Miller, Bingham) 44:01

Har-Minkus (Miller, Bingham) 85:10

Saves:

Har-Burney 3; Mary-Wolff 1, Serrins 1.