Bhutto Refutes "Sexist" Criticisms in Speech

By Caitlin E. Anderson, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Benazir Bhutto '73, elected to two terms as prime minister of Pakistan, defended herself in a speech on Friday against what she called "an outrageous and sexist character assassination."

Addressing more than 600 spectators in the ARCO Forum at the Kennedy School of Government, Bhutto said: "I am well aware that you have been exposed to information--or should I say disinformation."

Bhutto, who at 35 became the youngest head of state in the world and the first female prime minister of a Muslim state, led the Pakistan People's Party (PPP) to electoral victories in 1988 and 1993. She was twice dismissed before the constitutional end of her term on charges of corruption and political incompetence.

Born into a prominent political family, Bhutto was educated at Radcliffe College and at Oxford University, where her oratory powers gained her the prestigious position of president of the Oxford Union Debating Society. Bhutto also is a former sports writer at The Crimson.

In the speech, which was part a series of lectures by the Council of Women World Leaders, Bhutto attacked a political climate that she said places undue emphasis on personality and image.

"I will defend to the last breath the right of the people to criticize the leaders, but where do we draw the line and focus on policy, not personality?" she asked.

"I often found that people were more interested if I had gained weight or if I was wearing clothes that were frumpy," Bhutto said.

According to Bhutto, Islam is also facing a growing image problem in the West.

The Cold War suppressed racial and ethnic tensions, Bhutto said. But she added she has been shocked to realize that in recent years the world has been perceived as two blocs--Western and Muslim.

Moreover, she said, the world increasingly views Islam and the West as "mutu- ally incompatible."

"But this is not true--instead of Islam being incompatible with democracy, it is fundamental to Islam," she said. "Islam rests on the consultation of the people."

Bhutto also attributed ineffective Western intervention in Bosnia to the growing rift between Islam and the West.

"If Paris were on fire, and not Muslim Sarajevo, would the West have intervened?" she asked.

Not only is democracy a fundamental part of Muslim writings and culture, she said, but women as well are respected and valued.

As one of the tiny group of former and current female heads of state in the world, Bhutto has received both praise and blame for her work to further the cause of women.

She has been criticized for accepting an arranged marriage in 1987 and for doing little to eliminate traditional legal inequities such as the Hudood Laws, which reduce a woman's court testimony to half that of a man's in Pakistan.Crimson File PhotoBENAZIR BHUTTO '73, the controversial former prime minister of Pakistan, spoke yesterday on the role of women and democracy in Islam.