New Cigar Group Expects Hundreds of Connoisseurs

By Kevin S. Schwartz, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Listening to live jazz music in the background, sipping from filled glasses of brandy and wine and smoking fine cigars, an estimated 240 members of the University will attend the first meeting of the new Harvard Cigar Club on Nov. 20.

The club will contain students from schools throughout the University, but primarily from the Kennedy School of Government and the Business School.

Club President Juan Verde attributed the club's popularity to several possible sources, including the high status most people ascribe to cigar smoking.

"Cigars are perceived as less dangerous to one's health than cigarettes," he said. "I am convinced of this fact, and I am certain that this is the perception."

Verde, a second-year masters student at the Kennedy School, said that although most club members are graduate students, College students comprise at least 20 percent of club membership.

Verde outlined goals of the club as attaining discounts on cigars and related accessories, along with socializing and networking while people share their mutual enjoyment of cigars.

The club's first event will be from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Nov. 20 at Oskar's restaurant in Boston, with a live jazz band for entertainment.

According to Verde, anyone who arrives at the restaurant between 7 and 11 p.m. can sample brandy and wine, receive a 50 percent discount on cigars and cigar accessories and a discount on humidors--a wooden box which stores cigars--from Hispano Fine Cigars of Boston.

According to Paul J. Macdonald, manager and co-owner of Leavitt and Pierce on 1316 Mass. Ave., humidors can run from $200 to $1000.

MacDonald said he supports the new cigar club, recognizing it as good for business and cigar smokers.

"It's great because it gives smokers another opportunity to enjoy their cigars," he said.

Hector A. Vega '98 said he is currently trying to start a cigar club for undergraduates which would be an educational and social experience.

"I would like to focus more education and awareness about cigars, including their origin and the true quality ones," Vega said. "I think a lot more people are smoking cigars now because it's the trendy thing to do.