License Hearing Scheduled For Grille

By Eran A. Mukamel, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The embattled Crimson Sports Bar and Grille is once again facing charges of providing alcohol to underage drinkers--an accusation that could shut it down permanently.

Officials at the Grille offered no comment and refused to speak to reporters on Tuesday regarding the restaurant's scheduled appearance before the Cambridge License Commission on November 25 for a disciplinary hearing.

The Commission is acting on a report from Boston College (BC) police about a BC student who was apparently intoxicated and injured in a fall from his dormitory window on the night of October 6, 1997, said Commission Executive Director Richard V. Scali.

According to a statement in the report by the victim's roommate, he and the victim had been served four pitchers of beer and two shot glasses of hard liquor at the Grille that night. The roommate went on to say that the victim was hiding on the ledge outside his room during an alcohol inspection when he fell, Scali said.

The victim of the fall was "severely injured" and has dropped out of school for the remainder of the semester, Scali said.

According to the report from the victim's roommate, the pair used false identification, including an out-of-state driver's license, to enter the bar.

The Grille was recently served with a six-day suspension of its liquor license after a License Commission sting operation found several underage patrons at the establishment in October of 1996.

If the Grille is cited on November 25, it will be the restaurant's third reprimand for serving alcohol to underage customers.

In an interview with the Crimson in August, Scali said that the Grille "is right up there with the worst offenders in the city. This place has been blatantly in violation for two years."

The Commission director's comments yesterday about the Grille were more reserved.

"It's up to the commissioners here to make the judgments. The record speaks for itself," Scali said.

The Commission has the option of pursuing several disciplinary actions against the Grille, according to Scali. The Commission can suspend, revoke, cancel or further condition the Grille's license.

"I don't know what my recommendation will be at this time," Scali said. "It's getting more and more difficult these days [to ensure that patrons are of age] because fake ID's are getting better and better and more prevalent. The [licensees] have to be very diligent and very observant at the door and at the bar."

"[The Grille is] in a very difficult market," Scali continued, referring to the fact that the because so many college and high school students frequent Harvard Square, many underage patrons may attempt to drink there.

The Grille is a member of the Cambridge Licensee Advisory Board, a support group which provides members with information on the law and serves as a "networking organization," said Board President James Tipping.

Scali said that the Grille's participation in the Advisory Board could serve both to implicate and to exonerate the establishment.

While the Grille's membership demonstrates the restaurant's commitment to prevent underage drinking, the commission could also hold the Grille to a higher standard because it was aware of the law, Scali said.

"The committee will look into everything in a fair and objective way. We have no predetermined conclusions at this time," Scali said.

The Grille would have to share responsibility with any students who illegally consumed alcohol, said Cheryl Alavi, clerk and former president of the Advisory Board.

"There are many youngsters who make it their job to find ways to get alcohol. Unfortunately, there are adults who [help them.] If the situation is that, I don't know how much responsibility can be placed on the Crimson Sports Grille," she said.

Alavi called for a community organizations to embark on a program of "negative reinforcement" to combat the use of fake IDs by underage students to obtain alcohol.

"Education is not enough. The people who have this problem already know that it's against the law. Perhaps some repercussion would serve to be more of a deterrent," she said.

"There has been a reluctance to charge [underage drinkers] because in Massachusetts it's a felony and [the courts] are very reluctant to put that black mark on a youngster's record. As a parent, I would much rather see that black mark than see my son not reach the age of 21 because of [drinking]. When someone is caught, they should pay the price," she added.

Alavi, who also serves as food and beverage director at the Hyatt Regency hotel in Cambridge, sympathized with the Grille in its struggle to detect fake IDs.

"[Underage drinkers] risk the livelihood of a business person. To have that [livelihood] placed in the hands of a youngster who doesn't understand the finality of [the offense] is a very sad thing," she said