Absolutely No Preservatives

ON THE TOWN

By Alexandra B. Haggiag

Autumn is the season of falling leaves and drippy noses. A trip to CVS promises only cough drops, KleenexTM and horrible pink syrups. If bubblegum-tasting syrup does not sound delicious make sure to check out Harnett's first.

Located on the corner of Church and Brattle, Harnett's is a clean, sweet-smelling store that sells all sorts of alternative remedies from aromatherapy to wheat grass juice. Health-seekers can choose to just browse all of their 'feel good, smell sexy' products and settle into the reading corner to look through the library of good-livin' fetishes.

The most popular natural and homeopathic approach to dispensing with the flu is to try Echinacea. It's an herb that is supposed to push the immune system into overdrive. It comes in pills, tea or simply a bag bought from a little 'herb bar' at the back.

The salesperson recommended Echinacea Special Formula Tea with peppermint leaf, scintillating wild cherry bark and lemon grass (tangy!) for $3.99. An alternative is the Wellness Formula ($10.98) made of, among other things, garlic powder and ginseng. "It makes you sweat" explained the bespectacled assistant, "You sweat out all the toxins." Hmmm. Another option is the honey-based homeopathic cough syrup ($9.99).

Autumn also means less daylight. Skin just doesn't have that bronzed, sun-kissed look about it any more. Remedies include Kiss My Face honey and calendula moisturizer ($3.99), Apple Cider Vinegar Toner ($4.75) and even Ocean Potion Sea Clay Mud Pack ($9.10) for the tired complexion. To complete the look with white teeth, buy Tom's of Maine natural baking soda toothpaste ($3.39). Finally, if Citystep didn't help you catch that hottie from section, another option is Ecco Bella's Venetian Night Erotic Aromatherapy Oil ($12.95).

Although these potions are costly, Harnett's will accept checks in an emergency at the Natural Juices bar. For a mere $3.50 one can enjoy their fresh mango and banana fruit smoothies. However, the more adventurous should try a wheat grass drink. This bright green liquid comes in a shot glass. The bartender cuts grass from a white plastic tray of growing stalks and puts it in a special metal grinder to get the juice. But this isn't just any grass, this is wheat grass, and it can perform miracles. It is a (take a deep breath) body building, energizing, appetite suppressing, antibiotic, deodorizing concoction that also helps anemia. But, the other bartender warned, it does make you feel a little nauseous.

True wheat grass fanatics have been known to line up at juice bars at five every morning for their daily quota of four shots.

For those content with smoothies made with more mundane members of the fruit and vegetable families, Harnett's makes crackin' blends, either from a set menu or made to order. For a small additional fee, they will add the herbs to alleviate any aches, pains or conditions. The bartenders know about the healing properties of all of them and can suggest the appropriate herbs if you tell them your troubles. And just think, you won't even end up drunk afterwards.FM