Grapplers Strike Jackpot in Vegas

HIGHLIGHTS

By Rebecca A. Blaeser

Harvard wrestling Coach Jay Weiss sure knows how to recruit. For the past three seasons, one of Weiss' rookies has claimed the title of Ivy League Rookie of the year. Now it appears that his consistent work is starting to pay off.

Led by last year's rookie recipient Joey Killar, the Crimson continued its climb up the national ladder this past weekend with an impressive sixth-place finish at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational.

Killar, who entered the competition as the No. 3 seed in the 158-pound weight class, eased through the early rounds until the final match where he squared off against No. 2 nationally ranked Hardell Moore of Oklahoma State.

Already ranked No. 5 in the nation, Killar made a solid case to move up the ranks when he pinned Moore in the second period to secure his victory.

Junior Dustin DeNunzio, the 1995 Rookie of the year, had his streak of seven straight wins broken, but it took a sudden-death overtime loss to Tom Angle of Clarion in the finals to do so. Like his sophomore classmate, DeNunzio is currently ranked No. 5 in the country and appears to be on the upswing.

The Harvard Rookie of the Year who fell between Killar and DeNunzio was sophomore Ed Mosley, who similarly dominated at the Vegas Invitational.

Mosely, who wrestles in the 177-pound weight division, suffered a disheartening loss to the No. 2 ranked Jeff Catrabone of Michigan, but fought back for a third-place finish.