Mice Make New Home In Barker Center

By Daniel A. Shapiro, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Are mice taking Expository Writing?

Several students taking classes in the newly-refurbished Barker Center for the Humanities say they've observed the furry creatures running to-and-fro during the last few weeks.

Building management said that it is aware of the problem and has taken steps to remove the mice.

"There were some sightings of field mice last week, but great efforts have been made to make sure that any field mice are eliminated," said Maureen McCarthy, building manager.

She added that there were a few sightings in the beginning of the year but that it had been "very quiet until the middle of last week."

She says pest control technicians have put traps out as needed.

John Nehme, an employee at the C'est Bon cafe within the Center, said the eatery had "problems when we first moved in," but that he has not seen any evidence of a resurgence.

The Barker Center is the former home of the old Freshman Union, which served as a dining hall for first-years. After an 18-month, $25 million renovation project, the Center opened this fall as a center for the humanities.

Amid the marble steps, wood finishing, brass-handled lockers and newly painted walls, some Barker denizens say they are a little surprised to see rodents in the midst.

Joshua Kysiak, a staff assistant in the English and American Literature and Language Department on the first floor said he's seen small field mice "hang[ing] out by the water cooler."

Kysiak said he was not pleased to have their company.

"People don't want to see rodents running around new offices," he said.

Kysiak said that workers refused to go into the basement at the beginning of the year because of the infestation. McCarthy said, however, that she was not aware of any such problem.

Amanda J. Claybaugh, a fourth-year graduate student in English, said she encountered a "revolting, small mouse running at [her]" while "the guys in my class chased it under an e-mail kiosk."

Upon reporting her confrontation, she "was told to fill out a form--presumably a mouse form," she quipped.