Sociology Lecturer Warwick Dies at 63

* Expert on birth control, social policy was consulted by developing countries

Senior Lecturer on Sociology Donald P. Warwick passed away Saturday. He was 63 years old.

Warwick's career spanned more than three decades and three continents.

For the past 21 years, Warwick combined teaching responsibilities in the Graduate School of Education and the Department of Sociology with frequent consultations with ministries of education in developing countries.

Beginning in 1978, Warwick taught regularly in the Department of Sociology.

He began to serve as senior lecturer on sociology in 1982.

Professor of Sociology Peter V. Marsden, chair of the Department of Sociology, said Warwick was well-received by students.

"[Warwick's] courses on birth control in developing countries and on the implementation of social policy always were received with enthusiasm, by undergraduate graduate students alike," he said.

Warwick was director of the Comparative International Studies Program and Lecturer on Social Relations for the Sociology department from 1967 until 1971.

He joined the Harvard Institute of International Development (HIID) as an Institute Fellow in 1976.

"Don's way of doing things set higher standards for those who worked around him; he brought out the best in us," said Noel McGinn, professor of Education at the Graduate School of Education and an Institute Fellow, emeritus at HIID.

Warwick lived and worked in Lima, Peru from 1964 to 1966 where he was on assignment from the U.S. State Department to advise the government of Peru on the establishment of a survey research facility.

He chaired the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Toronto's York University from 1971 to 1973.

From 1975 to 1976, Warwick served as professor of sociology and administrative studies at York University in Toronto.

Warwick served as visiting professor of political science at the National University of Singapore from 1985 to 1986.

Warwick received a B.A. in philosophy from Sacred Heart Seminary in 1956.

He received an M.A. in psychology from the University of Detroit in 1958.

In 1963, Warwick received a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan in social psychology.

According to Nancy Barra of Chile, president of the Intercultural Center for Research in Education located in Arlington, Mass.: "[Warwick] had an amazing capacity to select just the right anecdote to illustrate a point. He really understood other people."