Chairman Faces Forum

Head of Joint Chiefs warns of demobilization

By Marc J. Ambinder, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

In his first major public address since becoming Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Henry H. "Hugh" Shelton told a packed crowd at the John F. Kennedy School of Government's ARCO Forum Thursday night to be weary of complascency as the United States military shifts priorities nearly a decade after the end of the Cold War.

Shelton strongly criticized the claim by some observers of the international scene that America faces a peaceful world and should thus "drastically demobilize."

Noting that economic prosperity and the lack of a single enemy were features common to several interwar periods this century, Shelton said that the United States armed forces should proceed cautiously.

"The conclusion I reach as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is that there are too many conditions today that were also present during inter-war periods," he said.

Shelton's remarks counter a report--released by a panel empowered by Congress to determine the status of threats to U.S. national security--which concluded the U.S. does not face the possibility of two regional conflicts, the standard on which the Department of Defense currently bases its conception of troop readiness.

Shelton acknowleged that "America is not likely to face a peer competitor" for the next several decades.

"While we can take comfort from the absence of any potential superpower, competition, continued spurts of nationalism in some areas of the world, terrorism and the growing-pains of continied democratization still leave us with many security-related concerns left unattended," he said.

Shelton, who as the Joint Chiefs Chairman serves as President Clinton's primary military advisor, said his strategy to mantain U.S. interests worldwide would focus on "helping shape the strategic environment and deterring threats before they emerge."

The new Chairman is familiar with the policy he espouses. In 1996, he led the military component of Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti.

Shelton defended a careful expansion of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and the member nations' decision to give Russia a voice in NATO affairs.

NATO, Shelton said, has transformed from a military alliance designed to respond to crisis into a political alliance designed to "Deter crisis before they escalate."

"NATO is no longer an alliance against anything...it is an alliance...for peace and stability," he said.

Shelton said initial Russian reluctance to NATO expansion, seen as a threat to their borders and strategic position in Europe, would diminish as the country recognizes the advtanges of having "peaceful democratic neighbors."

"We are in the process of trying to replace the Iron Curtain with a picture window," Shelton said.

After Shelton's 25 minute speech, audience members questioned the Army Ranger on topics ranging from women in the military to the U.S's position on land mines.

Shelton vigorously defended the latter policy; the U.S. and China were conspicuous hold-outs from a 50 nation treaty signed recently which banned all types of land mines.

Shelton said land mines are vital to the protection of U.S. interests in South Korea; thousands of land mines are scattered throughout the demilitarized zone separating that country from North Korea. He added that anti-personnel mine, scattered between mines designed to destroy advancing tanks were necessary implements of defense policy.

In addition, Shelton asserted in principle the idea of a U.S. ballistic missle defense system. If "we could afford it and the technology was available, I'd be a fan of that," he said.

The general estimated that a feasable missile defense system would be possible no less than six years from now.

President Clinton appointed Shelton the 14th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs at a time when the military has trimmed 700,000 people from its payroll in the past seven years and plans to cut at least 60,000 more positions.

Shelton is considered by many to be a solider's solider: he was won several of the military's most distinguished combat honors, served two tours in Vietnam, served as the Commander in Chief of the U.S. Special Operations Command, and earned a Purple Heart.

Since October, Shelton has been meeting with commanders of the U.S. unified commands to get their take on the state of the world, said Captain Stephen R. Pietropaoli, a special assistant for public affairs at the Pentagon.

Pietropaoli said Shelton's 30 years in the military had given him plenty of opinions "to spout," but "now he speaks as the Chairman."

Shelton replaced John M. Shalikashvili, accstlaimed for his diplomatic ability, as the Joint Chiefs chair.

Observers in the mostly male Forum audience noted Shelton's distinct style.

"He's a rugged individualist," said Jim R. Petite, a neurphysiologist who said he would follow the general's actions with interest "because he's not trained in response to this."

"He's less of a diplomat and morJe of a "take charge kind of guy," Petite said