PBHA Students Grieve Killing Of Local Teen

Period of calm ended by death of 16-year-old

By James P. Mcfadden, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The death last week of a 16-year-old Dorchester High School student has left a group of Harvard friends--the volunteers of the Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA) Franklin Summer Program --stricken with grief and shock.

Eric Paulding of Dorchester, an 11th grader who aspired to become an electrician or a teacher, died Thursday evening, the victim of a single gunshot wound to the chest. He was shot as he was leaving his girlfriend's house and died almost immediately, according to Boston police reports.

As of late yesterday evening, Boston police had no suspects in the crime, but Police Commissioner Paul F. Evans told reporters Saturday that he was confident an arrest would be made.

In the meantime, Harvard students who worked with Eric in the programs at Franklin Field and Franklin Hill have joined scores of mourners in remembering a young man many believed to be on the path to leadership and success.

In an interview, Althea P. Scott '98--a two-year mentor in the summer program and a friend of Eric's--recalled his ability to reach out to the six-and seven- year-olds who participate in the summer program.

"At the end of the summer the kids put on their talent show," she said. "They would hold his hands, and oh, how they would sing 'I Believe I Can Fly."

Friends and family say that Eric was not involved in any gang activities. Boston police investigators said that they believe that Paulding may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, a victim of circumstances beyond his control.

Investigators say that Eric may have been the victim of violence sparked by gang jealousy.

"What makes the situation so terrible is that Eric was a wonderful person," said Sam Rosaldo '98. "He was a part of the '95 and '96 summer programs, and in '97 he became a junior counselor. I remember that he loved to paint, and he was a terrific artist," Rosaldo said. "I still have one of his paintings on my wall here at Harvard."

His friends said they do not wish to think of Eric as a statistic.

"There has been too much negative coverage already," Rosaldo said.

Eric's death broke a 29-month period in which no Boston juvenile had been the victim of a violent killing. Police officials credit Boston's remarkable decline in violence to outreach efforts that involve churches, community agencies and social organizations in troubled Boston neighborhoods.

Out of respect for Eric, about 300 people flooded Franklin Field last evening in a candlelight vigil in his honor.

"Little kids that were in his Franklin Hill Summer Program loved him," said J. Dalton Courson '98, former director of PBHA Inner-City Outreach the Franklin Summer Program's predecessor.

Eric was part of the Franklin Summer Program and the Franklin Teen Mentoring Program for several years.

"What most Harvard students probably don't realize in that Eric has been involved with Harvard probably longer than any one of us students." Rosaldo said. "He's been around for a long time."

The Franklin Summer Program consists of about 50 students. The activities break down into six groups of nine children each, most of them are ages six to 13. Some also serve as junior and senior counselors.

"In summer '97 Eric was recommended for junior counselor based on his rapport with the kids and his good attitude," Courson said.

For two hours each day, Eric taught kids about art and sports. "Everyone thought that Eric had a gift," said Manuel Rodriguez '99. "He was a role model."

As part of the Teen Mentoring Program, Eric would join the group on several field trips throughout the year.

"He never took his opportunities for granted," Rosaldo said.

"Although materially Eric had very little to give, he was one of the most talented, intelligent people I ever met through my experiences in the Teen Mentoring Program," Scott said.

Boston police continue to look for Eric's killer as well as for the weapon used in the crime. In the meantime, Eric's former mentors said they still remember him standing in front of Grover Cleveland Middle School at 8:30 a.m., waiting for the counselors to start a new day of camp.

"I'll always remember him there," Scott said. "And I will always remember him waving at me.