Track Teams Dominate Invite

* Men runners nab four first places at tourney

By Tara Keck, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Patriots-Steelers game was not the only notable sporting event happening on Saturday afternoon. Boasting even more excitement than the Steelers' amazing last minute victory, the Harvard men's track team came off last Saturday's annihilation of Boston College with an even more impressive showing at this weekend's Harvard Invitational.

With four first place finishes and numerous multiple placers, the men's team demonstrated why such high expectations surround it for the rest of the indoor season.

In the men's distance races, junior Scott Muoio was Harvard's comeback kid. Muoio outsprinted the competition after facing an enormous deficit to capture the mile title.

Facing a similar gap between himself and the leaders in the 3000 meters, Muoio sprinted himself to a second place finish.

Also capturing a first place finish, freshman Arthur Fergusson was the victor in the triple jump. His leap of 14.69 meters was a notable improvement over his past weekend's performance.

"These past two meets I have been jumping well, but I am still looking for improvement in the upcoming meets," Ferguson said.

Sophomore Michael Harte recorded the fastest time of the competitors in the 55 meter hurdles, capturing first place in a time of 7.79 seconds. Also victorious was Steve Brannon who placed first in the pole vault with a jump of 4.55 meters.

Also fairing well in the meet, senior Kevin Johnson placed in four events. Johnson took second place in the 200 meters and in the 400 meters and also grabbed fourth in the 55-meter dash. Johnson then teamed up with freshmen Richard Powel, Jamil Shamasdin and sophomore Cabral Williams to place second in the 4 x 400 meter relay.

Other sprinters placing in the meet include, freshman Chris Evans taking fourth in the 55 meter hurdles and Shamasdin placing fifth in the 400 meters.

The Crimson men had a strong showing in the middle distances, especially the 800 meters where they took three of the top six places.

Sophomore Lawrence Ho lead the team placing third, followed by sophomore Dominic Patillo in fifth and Williams taking sixth. In the men's mile, sophomore Brendan Trombly placed third, just over a second behind Muoio.

The lone man to place in the throws was sophomore Arthur Hughes. Hughes took third place in the shot put with a toss of 14.21 meters.

"Overall we did really well for this still being an early season meet," said Captain Joe Ciollo. "We turned in some great times and distances despite the fact that we were missing a few guys.

"I think that this meet reflects the strength and depth of our team, and we should be ready later in the season when we face stronger competition.