The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Perspective Endorses Danganan or Hulse

Letters

Perspective, Harvard-Radcliffe's Liberal Monthly, is endorsing Kamil E. Redmond '00 for Undergraduate Council vice president and recommending a ranking of Jobe G. Danganan '99 and Benjamin W. Hulse '99 in either order as students' No. 1 and No. 2 votes for council president.

The major question in this election is whether the council will continue to devote any of its efforts to so-called "political" issues. Our answer is a resounding "yes." It is a myth that none of the student body cares about these issues. Last Wednesday, in a campus-wide ballot with a much higher turnout than any recent council vote, 46.5 percent of those voting made a stand on an expressly political issue--grapes.

Second, the "anti-political" candidates for the council are not just attempting to ban national politics from the council; among the more campus-oriented "political" issues they would choose to ignore are Faculty diversity, gay rights and a multicultural student center. Yet these issues do have a direct impact on student life. Finally, and most importantly, an agenda with political planks does not preclude the achievement of other important "non-political" student-service goals.

What is important is that we select a candidate who is committed, experienced and capable of both immediate student-service needs and broader "political" concerns. Redmond clearly meets those criteria far better than any other vice-presidential candidate. Among the presidential candidates, both Hulse and Danganan have vast council experience coupled with a commitment to such concerns. --The Perspective Editorial Board