Men's Hockey Looks for Killer Instinct Against the Bears

By Mike Volonnino, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

When the men's ice hockey team (3-5-1, 3-3-1 ECAC) boarded the bus home after a 3-1 win over St. Lawrence, it could not help but be somewhat disappointed.

Sure, it played a superb game against the Saints, showing an offensive spark that had been missing for most of the season. However, that win merely secured a split of the weekend's games, earning two conference points out of an expected four.

With the parity in the ECAC, every conference game is huge. Every two points earned separates the team from the pack. The Harvard players were not satisfied with their performance.

"Although it's tough to lose in the first night and come back to win the second, we are always upset when we split," said junior defenseman Ben Storey.

Harvard though has an opportunity tonight to put the weekend behind it as it prepares to host Brown (2-7-0, 2-5-0 ECAC) at Bright Hockey Center. With two more conference points on the line, the team would position itself quite nicely, at 4-3-1, to make a second-half run at the ECAC title.

In addition it would be the first Crimson winning streak of the year.

"This is a huge game for us," said junior center Rob Millar. "First, it would put us over .500 and second, it is a league game and we have to go out and win the games in the league. We expect to win."

The Crimson faced the Bears earlier this year on Nov. 29 in Providence. Harvard won, 5-3, in a game in which the Crimson jumped out to a 3-0 lead. However, the Bears pulled within one goal at 3-2 and again at 4-3. Harvard had to withstand a furious late-game rush before adding an empty net goal to secure the victory.

Harvard should expect another win in this game as well. Although Brown just climbed out of the ECAC basement, its talent does not match Harvard's. The Crimson just cannot give the Bears any measure of life as they almost paid dearly for it the last time.

"We have definitely been working hard to prevent a repeat of that game," Storey said. "We are working on developing a killer instinct."

If Harvard can open a similar barrage of shots against Brown as they did against St. Lawrence, the killer instinct may not be necessary. Only a spectacular 40-save performance by Saints goaltender Eric Heffler Jr. kept the game close.

The Crimson look to match that intensity on a nightly basis.

"We had a lot of shots against St. Lawrence and we expect the same against Brown," Millar said. "I think it just comes down to burying your chances and not being satisfied until the puck goes in."

As a unit, Brown should not pose any particular problems for Harvard. The Bears' only legitimate scoring threat is captain Damien Prescott. A small, fast, and crafty forward, he accounted for two of the Brown goals in the last meeting.

But Prescott, or anyone else, does not appear to cause the team much worry.

"We are not focusing on any one player," said senior forward Henry Higdon. "We know we can beat them."

However, the Crimson must be wary of a team seeking to avenge an earlier loss and salvage something from a miserable first half of the season. Brown will certainly be ready for its longstanding rivals.

"Though we remember the comeback, we remember more who got the win," Millar said. "They do as well. They will be fired up for this game and we will match it."

This is the Crimson's last conference game for Dec. A win gives Harvard a measure of confidence to take into the Christmas break and a small modicum of consistency lacking all year.

Likewise, a humiliating loss at home could signal the advent of a long winter.

"This game is huge," Higdon said. "At 4-3-1 we will be right in the middle of the hunt. It will be a great feeling to go into the break with some confidence and a chance to come back and make a run for the top of the conference."

HOCKEY GAME PREVIEW

HARVARD

(3-3-1) ECAC, (3-5-1) Overall

Head Coach: Ronn Tomassoni

Captain: Jeremiah McCarthy

Site: Bright Hockey Center

Faceoff: 7 p.m.

On Radio: WHRB 95.3 FM

Tickets: Coupon No. 5.

Last Meeting: Harvard won 5-3 on Nov. 29, 1997

Series History: Harvard leads, 88-30-7

BROWN

(2-5-0) ECAC, (2-7-0) Overall

Head Coach: Roger Grillo

Captain: Damian Prescott