Tutors To Attend Simulated Ad Board

By Sadie H. Sanchez

House tutors will meet informally Wednesday to discuss issues pertaining to the procedures of Harvard College's Administrative Board.

The meeting will be "conducted much like a regular Board meeting, [which] will examine several typical (and manufactured, though based on actual) cases that involve both academic and disciplinary matters," Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 wrote in an e-mail sent to all House tutors late last week.

Other tutor meetings earlier in the year have focused on eating dis-orders, health issues and religious diversity.

"This is the first year we have held College-wide meetings of all tutors to provide a forum for information and discussion on important aspects of life at Harvard, and for exchange of ideas between Houses," Lewis wrote in an e-mail message yesterday.

These meetings were created to subsidize the training that tutors are receiving through their own respective Houses, Lewis said.

Anne M. Joseph, a resident tutor in Quincy House, said the information presented will be helpful when she deals with undergraduates, though this topic is "not more important than others."

Joshua H. McDermott '97 said that although he thinks the meeting is valid, there are other issues more worthy of discussion among tutors.

"[It is] not the most imperative thing on campus...There are more pressing issues" that affect a larger portion of the Harvard College community, he said.

Hollis C. Waite '98 said educating tutors about the Ad Board is "not a significant issue [unless the Ad Board] allows tutors to sit in on the cases," which is not permitted.

On the other hand, Michael Murphy, a Pforzheimer House tutor, said he believes the meeting will be helpful.

Murphy said he needs to know about "what sort of offenses require the notification of the Senior Tutor" and then, ultimately, the Ad Board.

Jol A. Silversmith '94, a Winthrop House non-resident tutor, said, to his knowledge, a mock Ad Board meeting of this sort is "unprecedented."

Silversmith said he is interested in knowing about "internal procedures [because] a lot of discussion goes on about how the Ad Board works."

In yesterday's e-mail, Lewis said there is "no particular circumstance or event that put [the mock Ad Board meeting] on the agenda."

Lewis said general unfamiliarity with the Ad Board is the main reason for the meeting.

Students will be not allowed to attend this meeting, he said