U.C. Okays Plans for Semi-Formal

Dance for Sophomore, Junior Classes Will Be Held in Mid-March

By Laura E. Rosenbaum

Plans for a semi-formal dance for sophomores and juniors to be held on March 14 were approved by the Undergraduate Council at its meeting last night.

According to the council's resolution, the Spring Fling is designed to provide a designated "class-related event" for sophomores and juniors who might feel "displaced and disunited" in the Houses.

The event, which will cost five dollars per ticket, will be held at the State House in Boston.

The council allocated $2,475 for the event and hopes to recoup the entire amount with the proceeds from the evening.

"All sophomores and juniors are invited," said Enmi Sung '98, event co-coordinator. However, while the council is hoping to have at least 800 students attend, tickets will be limited. The State House holds a maximum of 1,000 people.

Because the State House must be vacated by midnight, the dance will likely be followed by a post-party at the Roxy, a club in Boston.

Despite the limitations on the size of the crowd and the time the event can be held, coordinators praised the location and beauty of the State House, which they said is easily accessible on the Red Line.

The council is planning to fund the event largely through corporate sponsors such as Mailboxes Etc., Kaplan or Princeton Review.

Coordinators are hoping that these and other student-oriented businesses will pay for advertising on dance tickets and party favors. The extra funding will be used to offset the low ticket prices.

The council also discussed a wide-range of other topics last night from the renovation of Loker Commons to academic standards and Core Curriculum requirements.

Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68, who attended the meeting, said he recognized the desire of many students to change the Core.

"I would like to see some way of getting more flexibility into the system that now exists," he said. "I think it's too bad people tend to concentrate their classes in their concentration department or in the Core [rather than] explore other concentrations."

However, Lewis said he is not responsible for determining the requirements of the Core. Any changes must be made by the Committee on Undergraduate Education which meets later this spring.

In other business, there will be a council-sponsored town meeting on Wednesday to discuss the proposal for a multicultural student center, including a debate between members of various student groups and administrators.