Researcher to Host Discovery Channel Adventure

Nagle to Debut New Show on Competitive Wilderness Racing; Program Will Balance Chemist's Academic Interests

By Alexandra S. Morrison

As a researcher in the Department of Chemistry, Robert J. Nagle might seem an unlikely subject of a Discovery Channel special on adventure racing.

But for the last three years, Nagle, who researches molecular modeling under Richards Professor of Chemistry Martin Karplus, has balanced his work in academia with a career in competitive adventure racing.

"Although there is no direct relationship, they complement each other," he says of his two pursuits, racing and research.

Competitors in adventure racing spend from three to ten days in the wilderness, competing in events including glacier climbing, whitewater rafting and horseback riding.

No motorized vehicles are allowed in the competition. As a result, competitors must be self-sufficient, says Nagle, who recently finished a 10-day team competition in British Columbia, dubbed the Eco-Challenge.

According to a representative of the Discovery Channel--which will broadcast coverage of the Eco-Challenge next week--competitors participate to "take on the elements and quench their thirst for adventure."

Nagle says he competes in five or six adventure races around the world each year, a time commitment he calls "significant, especially when considering planning and other non-physical preparations."

Adventure racing is "relatively risky," Nagle says, since competitors tend to be sleep-deprived.

There are both team and individual competitions in adventure racing, but according to Nagle, the individual events are riskier. In the team events, Nagle says, trust and communication are most important.

"The team only moves as fast as the slowest member," he says, "so it's necessary to be aware of others and be pro-active."

Nagle is currently preparing for a trip to Morocco, where he will take part in a seven-day team race in the Sahara.