Jackson To Join Bunting

By George T. Hill

The third Radcliffe Junior Faculty Fellowship at the Bunting Institute was officially awarded yesterday. Shannon P. Jackson, assistant professor of English and American literature will use the fellowship to continue her ongoing studies.

Jackson, who received a Cue Guide rating of 5.0 last year, said she wants to temporarily shift the focus of her energies from teaching to research work.

"While I love all the other things that go along with being a professor," Jackson said, "It will be nice to have a little time...to return to a project."

Jackson's project, "Lines of Activity: Space, History, Performance," examines how Jane Addams and other founders of the Hull-House Settlement in Chicago used the arts to enrich the lives of turn-of-the-century immigrants.

Jackson's research assistant Sara E. Kimberlin '97 said the fellowship will give Jackson the time to continue studies of Hull-House that began with her doctoral work.

"I know she's been wanting to spend a lot of time working on it," Kimberlin said. "[The fellowship] will give her a chance to go back and develop some ideas that she didn't have a chance to for her dissertation."

During the upcoming year, Jackson plans to interview surviving residents of Hull House. Jackson said she also hopes to develop upon her one-woman play inspired by the diaries and letters of women who lived in the House