Clinton All Smiles During Boston Trip

Some UMass Students Ignore White House Visit

By Richard M. Burnes, Special to the Crimson

BOSTON--Instead of throwing elbows with the thousands lined up outside their gym to see the president yesterday, most University of Massachusetts-Boston students spent their morning doing what they do every morning--going to classes.

While the president was schmoozing with Beantown politicians just a few classrooms down, UMass students were wading through their Plato and Aristotle.

As they relaxed between classes in the sultry February weather gracing the harborside campus, the students were both cynical and slap-happy.

Some seemed offended by the cold demeanor and untraceable sense of humor that the van-loads of secret services agents and national reporters brought with them from Washington.

"I wanted to hang with the g-men, but today they're all business," said Damon M. Kelley as he smoked a pack of Marlboros and watched men in sparkling grey suits hustle to and fro.

Many students like Sherry Raffi, a Medford mother who was made two hours late by the motorcade of over thirty cars, could not afford the time to see the president.

Others seemed surprised that the President chose to visit their university.

"Why the hell would he come here, instead of Harvard or North-eastern," said UMass sophomore Bill VonHandorf as he watched thousands of Bay Staters pass through a security check-point in a parking lot nearby.

Some students hoped that the president's visit would bring some attention to the school's problems.

"Maybe he'll notice the bricks falling off the buildings and give us a little money," said Damon K. Matthew, a UMass junior, as he chatted with friends.

Indeed, the ground floor of the school's Healey Library is surrounded by a chain linked fence with signs reading, "DANGER. DO NOT ENTER. FALLING DEBRIS."

Although they are unsure about what the event means for the school, the University's senior administration officials agree that UMass-Boston is rarely in the public eye.

"We're a major urban university and we need recognition," said Donald D. Babcock, the school's associate chancellor.

Of the school's roughly 11,000 undergraduates, only about 1,000 obtained tickets for yesterday's event