FDO to Discourage Use Of Halogen Lamps

Class of '01 to Receive Warning from Nathans

By Baratunde R. Thurston

Students accepted to the Class of 2001 will receive at least one new piece of information in their acceptance packages in April: don't buy halogen floor lamps.

According to Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth Studley Nathans, recent press reports on the hazards of these lamps have prompted the Freshman Dean's Office to discourage their use in first-year dorms.

"We are concerned enough in the Yard that I have told [Harvard Student Agencies (HSA)] and Dickson Brothers that we expect to tell incoming first-year students we do not want halogen floor lamps in first-year dorms," Nathans said in an interview yesterday.

In addition to the press coverage, the dangers of these lamps was brought to Harvard's attention by a small fire in Canaday Hall a few months ago that was started when residents draped clothing over a lamp.

When asked if the FDO decision represents a ban on halogen lighting in the Yard, Nathans would only offer the following response:

"We will tell entering students that halogen floor lamps pose a potential fire hazard and that students need to use incandescent or fluorescent lamps in freshman dormitories," she wrote in an e-mail message.

Due to the FDO decision, HSA, which sells many lamps to students, is doing research into possible replacement lighting.

"I think on a personal note I can understand the concern for the fire safety," said B. Cameron Sheldon '99, manager of HSA's Campus Store.

"On the other hand, we've been happy to sell halogens. We do well selling them. They're popular. They're good lighting."

According to Sheldon, no decision has been made about whether HSA will continue to sell the lights, which can reach temperatures into the hundreds of degrees.

Halogen lamps have been banned at Yale University. However, students there seem to have adjusted to the change.

"I have seen a fire caused by a halogen lamp, and I'm pretty glad they're prohibited," said Barry M. Fine, a first-year at Yale.

"At first we thought [the ban] might be a problem, but it's not a major problem at all."

Some students at Harvard agree that the absence of halogens may not affect them much.

"It doesn't particularly bother me. I have an incandescent floor lamp in my bedroom. It's just as good as the halogen in our common room," said Grays Hall resident Michael B. Leslie '00.

So far, the decision only applies to first-year dorms. However, a subcommittee of the Committee on House Life has been discussing the adequacy of student room lighting.

"As one begins to look into this issue, things such as halogen lamps become part of the discussion," said subcommittee chair Robert Mortimer.

Mortimer, who works in the Office of Physical Resources for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences said "at this point the committee has not met yet about these developments to consider them.