EPA Administrator Vows Cleaner Air

By Gregory S. Krauss

Vowing to continue the fight against air pollution, Carol Browner, administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), proposed an increased commitment to reduce national levels of pollutants in the air last night at the Kennedy School of Government's Arco Forum.

Before a crowd of approximately 300 people, Browner discussed recent EPA proposals that call for a revision of the national ambient air quality standards for particulate matter and ground level ozone--better known as soot and smog.

The new standards would protect nearly 50 million more Americans from the adverse health effects of smog, including 13 million children, Browner said.

They would also result in 20,000 fewer premature deaths, a quarter million fewer cases of aggravated asthma, another quarter million fewer cases of acute respiratory problems in children and 60,000 fewer cases of bronchitis each year, she said.

Browner reacted to critics on both sides of the spectrum--those who questioned the costliness these new standards would pose to industry and those who charged that the standards were arbitrary or did not go far enough.

"You might say that we're under an 'air assault' from various industry groups," she said. "Some representing industry have argued that the implementation costs to business would be excessive, while others have accused us of 'moving goal posts' in the middle of the game."

But Browner's approach to industry is anything but hostile, said one first year Kennedy School student who asked to remain anonymous.

Rather than imposing unfeasible regulations and waiting for industry to comply, Browner is vigorous in assisting business come up with cost effective strategies for meeting environmental codes, the student said.

"The point is that industry always rises to the challenge again and again by finding cheaper, more innovative ways of meeting standards...than anything that can be estimated at the time the standards are set," Browner said.

Each year, there are 40,000 to 60,000 deaths due to soot, and the new standards would reduce that range to 20,000 to 40,000 deaths, she said