Oddly Shaped Store Has a Quirky Past

Reporter s Notebook

By Laura C. Semerjian

Just a five-minute jaunt from the Quad, the Cambridge Toy Box lately has been attracting Cantabrigians of all ages.

But not too many at one time.

The toy store occupies a historic, trapezoidal building that is 30 feet long and six feet wide at its entrance--tapering to just four feet at the back of the store.

Tucked away between the neat row houses and dry cleaners of Concord Avenue, the store could be easily missed by passers-by because of its small size.

Bright, hand-painted signs, doors and windows, however, signal that the building may house more than just an ordinary toy store.

According to store owner and sole employee Greta F. Hardina, the Toy Box building was originally built in the late 19th century.

Named the Spite Building, the structure got its quirky size after the city of Cambridge constructed a road, Appleton Street, cutting through most of the original owner's property.

Left with only a 30-foot by six-foot sliver of land, the owner attempted to sell the property to a neighbor, but the neighbor was not interested, Hardina said.

The story has become unclear over time, but as Hardina best recalls, the owner--unable to sell his property--constructed the building out of spite either to his neighbor or to the city of Cambridge, hence the name.

Despite its unusual size, the building has attracted many tenants and passed through several hands since the 1800's.

Before becoming the home of the Cambridge Toy Box, the Spite Building has served as a cobbler's shop, candy store, newspaper storage area and shoe store, Hardina said.

Hardina, 33, bought the building three years ago after her stand in Holyoke Center was shut down.

Pregnant and looking for a new place to work, Hardina decided to open a toy store.

"I always wanted to open a toy store," she said. "Because I was pregnant that gave me more incentive."

A Cambridge native, Hardina occasionally brings her son Augustin, now two and a half, to work.

Hardina chose the Spite Building for the site of her store because of its unique shape, which she compared to a toy box.

The store's inventory consists mainly of wooden toys, handcrafted by artisans from all over New England, mostly from Maine and Vermont.

Hardina said she has always liked wooden toys and wanted to sell quality playthings for children.

The selection includes wooden ginger-bread men and trains as well as colorful mittens and clown hats.

"No batteries, no plastic, no computerized junk--just handcrafted wooden toys," Hardina said.

At first the store attracted only local customers, but after three years, it has begun to draw in people from other towns as well, Hardina said.

"A lot of people stop because of the building," she said.

Business at the Toy Box has been going well. "It's growing every year," Hardina said.

While many store owners might feel confined by the limited space inside the Spite Building, Hardina feels differently.

"Most people would think the size is limiting, but I think it's what makes the store," Hardina said. "I have the cutest toy store on the block."

The Cambridge Toy Box is open Tuesdays through Saturdays, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and is located at 260 Concord Ave.