Round-Up IVY League

Brown President Addresses 'State of the University'

The Brown Daily Herald

(U-WIRE) PROVIDENCE, R.I.--"The state of the University is healthy," Brown University President Vartan Gregorian proclaimed yesterday before robe-clad faculty and less formally dressed students at The First Baptist Meeting House in America.

Outside, students protesting Brown's financial aid policies chanted variations on the theme, "Have money, go to Brown," but the tone inside was one of accomplishment and optimism.

Chair of the Faculty Executive Committee William Wyatt, who introduced Gregorian, described the "State of the University" as "bittersweet"--both the reinstitution of an old tradition and the only time that it would be delivered by Gregorian.

In brown, red and gold, President Gregorian took the podium and began in his booming voice with thanks to the whole audience and the greater University. He recalled the days when Brown was made up of three professors and two tutors, exclaiming, "How far we have come! There are now 10,000 people in our community."

Addressing the character of the University, Gregorian emphasized the importance of choice and independence. He urged that Brown "work to ensure that innovation continues to be a priority." He added that the school's success has come because it has "taken risks while assuming responsibility."

The President said Brown's greatest challenge is "to recruit and retain excellent faculty," which he called "the most valuable resource." He said that in the last eight years, 72 professors were appointed to endowed and named chairs, 270 new faculty were acquired and $325 million was obtained in research grants.

He also remarked on the one-to-eight faculty to student ratio at Brown, one of the nation's best ratios.

Gregorian went on to praise Brown's student body and athletics program.

Gregorian spoke on the University's current Title IX appeal to the Supreme Court.

He said Brown led the nation in developing women's athletic teams, adding that the Title IX appeal is not about equal treatment but about proportionality.