Senior Carswell Takes Third in 3000 Meters

Two Harvard Runners Represent at Nationals

By Alden J. Mcdonald iii

Harvard seniors Ian Carswell and Killian Lonergan competed in the 3,000-meter run and 5,000-meter run, respectively, at the NCAA Track and Field Championships in Indianapolis last weekend.

Carswell finished third in the 3,000-meter run with a time of 7:57.03, earning All-America indoor honors. The time of 7:57.03 is a University record and a personal best for Carswell, beating his best time by 0.18 seconds.

"This was the best race I've run at a national championship," Carswell said.

Maintaining position in the pack, with 400 meters to go, he saw an opportunity to break.

"At 400 meters I got a little distance between myself and the rest of the field," Carswell said.

Colorado's Adam Goucher, who finished first, made up the gap between himself and Carswell with 200 meters to go. Three seconds separated Carswell's time from Goucher's time. Arkansas's Ryan Wilson, who was the defending champion and finished second, passed Carswell with 150 meters to go.

This run was the second time Carswell has earned indoor honors and marks his last indoor race at Harvard. Throughout his collegiate career, he has additionally earned All-America honors for outdoor and cross country.

Lonergan finished eleventh in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 14:40, just missing the cutoff for All-America honors.

"I was disappointed but not disappointed in myself. I gave it my all for what I had on the day," Lonergan said.

Lonergan and Carswell received plenty of support in Indianapolis.

"The crowd likes to see Harvard there and respects this institution," Lonergan said.

Both expect more Harvard track and field team members to participate in next year's championships.