Council Allots Another $8,000 For Springfest

By Jason T. Benowitz

Do the words "free fried dough" conjure up thoughts of mouth-watering pleasure?

Students who are fans of the tasty snack will have their fair share come April.

The Undergraduate Council voted last night to add $300 to its Springfest budget to fund the purchase of fried dough.

That money was part of an $8,000 allotment for the April 26 event approved by the council last night.

"It's the students money, and we should give it back to the students," said Catherine D. Rucker '99, a council representative. "My constituents like fried dough."

But the fried dough amendment did not pass without opposition.

Representative Michael A. O'Mary '99 proposed that the entire food budget, $750, be dropped in favor of a menu provided by Harvard Dining Services (HDS).

"There was plenty of food at HYPE," O'Mary said of the HDS-catered event. "I think we could possibly offer a cost savings measure."

Many council representatives rejected this idea because they said the free popcorn, sno-cones and cotton candy are an important part of Springfest.

"Last year, just to see peoples' faces light up when they saw the cotton candy, I think it's worth it," said Tally Zingher '99, a council representative. "It's what we should be doing at the U.C."

The $300 addition for fried dough brings the entire event's budget to $16,250, including the $8,250 previously allocated to fund the band, God Street Wine.

The budget for this year's Springfest is "a little bit less than last year because of financial constraints," Rucker said.

Representatives also discussed cutting the council's ties to the Ivy Council (I.C.) at last night's meeting.

The I.C. is a body composed of representatives from each of the Ivy League student councils which meets several times a year. In its most recent meeting, the I.C. voted to condemn U.S. News and World Report's college ranking.

"The Ivy Council is a whole bunch of sour grapes that are just rotting there," said Adam S. Vaina '97, a council representative.

Vaina stressed his point by wearing a brightly colored beanie while he addressed the council, which he said was worn by the Yale council president at an I.C. meeting.

The Harvard council was not alone in criticizing the I.C.'s effectiveness, according to Vaina.

"Princeton and Brown are working on the same thing," he said.

The council voted to send a letter to the I.C. requesting significant reforms within the year. Members discussed petitioning for veto power over the group.

But some council members proposed an immediate withdrawal from the organization.

"Every minute that we're a part of this, we're lending our name to something silly," said Robert B. Wolinsky '97, a council representative. "The word 'farce' has been used many times."

Representative Steven J. Mitby '99 also opposed further attempts to reform the I.C.

"It's like marrying an alcoholic and hoping to reform him," he said.

The proposal to withdraw met opposition.

"When we don't necessarily agree with what they're passing, the solution is not to say, 'Screw you, we're leaving,'" O'Mary said. "If we are 'the best student government,' then we should be the ones taking the lead."

Zingher, who attended an I.C. meeting last year, said she thought the organization had some merit.

"I actually really did come back thinking...I [had] learned a lot," she said. "I really think that the [Ivy] Council does have potential.