License Commission Blocks Gay Nightspot

By Alexandra S. Morrison

When Gregory A. Johnson '72, former executive director of Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA), decided to set up a gay-friendly night spot in Cambridge this year, the Cambridge License Commission stopped him in his tracks.

"Cambridge has a large gay and lesbian community and folks around here need social venues," he said in an interview. "There is a dearth of such places in the greater Boston area. There are even fewer here than in Providence."

Johnson was unable to go ahead with his plan to open a social venue in the Nightstage property because the License Commission policy of "capping"--which restricts the amount of liquor licenses allowed in an area--made it too expensive.

New licenses are rarely granted, so when an establishment sells an existing license, it can go for as much as $250,000. Licenses for properties outside the "capped zone" are worthless inside the zone.

"No other city has this system," Johnson said. "It dampens the possibility of honest small enterprise development, and makes some people wealthy while the community loses out."

While working on this project Johnson has remained active in public service. He is currently on the board of directors of the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty and continues to advise PBHA.