Focus

Service For All Careers

By Corinne E. Funk

Over the years, whenever my parents inquired about my job aspirations, I usually had the same general response: I told them that at some point in the middle of my senior year, I would drop a tall stack of resumes off at the Office of Careers Services (OCS), show up for a couple of interviews, be given offers by a few companies, and sign a contract to spend the next couple years of my life as a consultant or an analyst in an investment banking firm. No matter that I had little passion for banking and little understanding of consulting. I was assured by my older peers that I was qualified for these positions because I liked team work and problem-solving and thinking outside the box. The whole process seemed to require rather little effort. After all, I had no reason to make hard choices about the direction my life was going when a bunch of interviewers were coming to campus to do that for me.

It was only after I had handed in that stack of resumes that I realized that I had taken the easy way out--and woke up panic-stricken in the middle of the night frightened by the fact that I had just applied for fifty positions that I was not even sure I wanted. The next day, I decided that it was time to take action.

After being intimidated by OCS for nearly four years, I finally sought advice from their counselors, swallowing my pride and joining the ranks of the Undecided Candidate. Throughout my time here, I had a conception of OCS as not wanting to help graduating seniors who were not interested in either banking or consulting. As far as I could tell, the role of OCS was that of a matchmaker between eager seniors and firms with fancy office buildings in New York City. The amazing truth, however, is that OCS has terrific advising for undecided people.

As a result of this discovery, while my traditional recruiting interviews were getting underway, I started exploring alternative career paths. I followed all the advice that I scoffed at long ago--I made informational interviews with people who worked in fields that interested me; I sent in resumes to companies that do not recruit on campus; and I looked on the web for job listings.

In the process, I realized that trying to find a job outside of recruiting is not impossible. There are counselors for nearly every field imaginable at OCS, and they are willing and eager to speak with you. Do not make the mistake I did of thinking that since I did not fit the profile of the die-hard aspiring investment banker, OCS would not be receptive to my needs. They are continually developing new programming where needed--just last week, there was a session in the Lyman Common Room to talk about careers for women in government and public policy.

Do not be afraid of marching into OCS and seeking out the resources you need. Looking through the countless notebooks of offerings is an excellent way to begin the career-choosing process. It seems a bit simplistic to remind people of this, but I have talked to countless students who have walked into OCS, wandered around the first floor a bit aimlessly, felt silly, and left. Remember that the staff is there to help you, no matter where you are in your career exploration process.

Finally, do not underestimate the official recruiting system. It would not be such a popular process if it did not provide a very valuable service. For some, this service allows you to find a good match very quickly. For me, countless interviews showed me exactly what I did NOT want to do, but in the end I found one job that seems to be a terrific match. Also, while banks and consulting firms do comprise the bulk of recruiters, there are a number of different types of companies who participate in the recruiting process, as well.

No matter what path you choose, though, do not assume that OCS has nothing to offer because you are indecisive, perplexed, or overwhelmed. You are the reason that OCS exists, and it is their job to help you. Take advantage of this fantastic resource.

Corrine E. Funk's column appears on alternate Mondays.

Focus