New Eatery on Mt. Auburn Offers Wraps, Music to Entice Customers

By Melissa K. Crocker and Matthew P. Miller

Harvard students will now be able to chow down on sandwiches late at night while listening to a wide variety of music, thanks to an innovative sandwich shop which opened last week in the Square.

Wrap Culture, located on Mt. Auburn Street in the building now owned by Harvard Student Agencies, serves a range of fruit smoothie drinks and "wraps"--rolled sandwiches of meats, vegetables and sauces wrapped in flavored tortillas.

Wraps are designed for eating on the run, said the store's owner, Brian J. Lesser. "Personally, I'm always looking for something I can eat in the car," he said, chuckling.

For customers who prefer to eat in, Lesser said he intends to provide a "relaxed atmosphere" that will "bring the essence of Harvard Square" to the Mt. Auburn Street area.

Although Lesser already operates two cafes catering to the business crowd in downtown Boston, he said the brightly-colored Mt. Auburn shop, which doubles as a forum for new music, "is more of a concept I've wanted to go to."

Working with a local entertainment company, Lesser has arranged for two CD listening stations where customers can sample a range of upstart, local and foreign musicians while they eat.

The stations, which Lesser touted as the jukeboxes of the 21st century, also feature animated video screens which provide information about the artists.

Some of the artists currently available on the stations performed on the store's small stage during its opening week, and Lesser said he plans to bring local artists to the store for "open mike" nights each week.

He also said he hopes the "whole bunch of different twists" will appeal to the Square's array of customers.

The low prices and healthy meals will be especially appealing to Harvard students, who often opt for less nutritious alternatives, according to Lesser.

Lesser plans to remain open until 10 p.m. on Sunday, 11 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, and at least 1 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, long after the dining halls have closed.

Lesser said he has even contacted Harvard Dining Services to inquire about arrangements in which students could buy late-night wraps and smoothies on their meal plans.

The most popular wraps thus far have been the "Thai Me Up" rice-and-chicken wrap and the vegetarian "Just Veggin," Lesser said.

"It's a damn good sandwich if you're into that sort of thing," said Ethan A. Vogt '97, who sampled the Thai Me Up wrap.