Dean Knowles Approves New Benefits for Junior Faculty

Paid Leave of Absence and Larger Travel Allowance Applauded; Reaction Mixed to Change in Rental Subsidies

By Ariel R. Frank

When Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles announced at Tuesday's Faculty meeting that he had accepted three proposals made in the report on junior faculty recruitment and support, the faculty applauded.

The new policies included a paid leave of absence for assistant professors on a certain pay scale upon promotion to associate professor. Faculty on the other pay scale will receive a commensurate pay raise.

In addition, the $800 travel allowance will be increased to $1,000 with rollover for all faculty.

But some junior faculty expressed concern that the new policies may not be helpful enough.

William R. Handley, assistant professor of literature and of English, said his specific concern is with changes in the policy regarding rental subsidies.

"The policies are two steps forward, one step back," he said in an interview yesterday.

Currently, only faculty living in Harvard housing receive a rental subsidy. Handley said he receives $6,000 a year for his apartment.

The new plan will give $3,000 to all incoming faculty, regardless of where they choose to live.

While Handley said this will help new faculty who choose to live offcampus and would have received no subsidy under the old system, he said it means a new faculty member could end up paying more than he does for an apartment just like his.

"It won't benefit some people and it will be more expensive for new faculty who want to live in faculty housing," he said.

Junior Faculty Child Care

During a discussion at Tuesday's meeting about a report on the child care needs of junior faculty, some faculty said Harvard is not doing enough to assist junior faculty with combining their careers and families.

Some of the concerns mentioned by the faculty were the high cost of day care centers near campus, the lack of on-site centers and the early closing time of those currently used by many faculty members.

According to the report, four faculty members said they spend between 40 and 60 percent of their individual after-tax earnings on day care. Two of these respondents, both women, said their entire salaries went to pay for the day care needs of their children.

At the meeting, several faculty members said these figures were appalling.

Professor of History Susan G. Pedersen, who presented the report, said the decision to have children should not derail a career.

George B. Field, Willson professor of applied astronomy, said the situation is urgent and requires action.

The Standing Committee on the Status of Women made several recommendations in the report, including the establishment of a day care center adjacent to the Yard with priority for assistant and associate professors.

In addition, the Committee suggested Harvard subsidize child care for junior faculty in particular and establish a fund to help cover the cost of child care for junior faculty travelling for conferences, meetings or research.

Two faculty members, Eva Bellin, assistant professor of government, and Mary M. Gaylord, professor of romance languages and literatures, said on-site day care is so important that it may affect whether or not some professors with young children choose to accept job offers at Harvard