Winthrop Show Front for Christ

TO THE EDITORS

On Tuesday night I attended a free concert given in the Winthrop JCR by a band called the "Living Stones." Since I live in Winthrop House, and because the idea of a free concert seemed appealing, I decided to attend.

The leader of the band began the evening by addressing the crowd of some 50 students and community members. After describing his troubled past, which included drug addiction and involvement in a Satanic cult, he proceeded to explain that his life had undergone a dramatic "change for the better," when, as a last resort, he decided to "ask God to come into his life."

The preconcert publicity had neglected to mention that a free message accompanied the free music: the message of the Christian gospel. The band proceeded to play a set of Beatles-era rock songs with the lyrics modified to reflect the evangelical mission. "Love me do" became "Love me Jesus."

I have no objection to the presence of religion on this predominately secular campus. What made this event different from other religious gatherings on campus was that a significant portion of the audience was unaware of the religious nature of the event. I and several others went to hear music, not to be preached to.

Granted, the doors weren't locked behind me. Still, one wonders why the planners of this event were not more forthright about its religious nature, instead of covertly springing it upon a potentially unsuspecting audience. --Jonathan J. Finer '98