Science Center Will Require ID

Most Entrances to Be Locked Nightly

By Andrew S. Chang

Key card access will go into effect for most of the main doors in the Science Center starting Monday.

Electronic locks on the north, east and west doors into the building will be activated from 11:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. throughout the week. Students and staff will be able to enter the building by swiping a valid Harvard ID.

In addition, doors to major access points within the Science Center--including laboratories, departments and stairwells--will be controlled by key card locks.

The main revolving doors on the south end of the Science Center will remain open at all times.

Director of the Science Center Dean R. Gallant '72 said that the decision to install key card access was not made in response to any specific incidents or security concerns.

"In general, I think [the Faculty of Arts and Sciences] is trying to put card access on not just the houses and dorms but most of the other buildings," he said.

Security staffing in the Science Center will not be affected by the addition of key card access.

A roving guard is on duty in the building after 3 p.m. Another guard is stationed in the first-floor security booth from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m.

"The people in the security booth will have a [computer] screen with various information about the doors...so if there's a problem, they'll be notified immediately," Gallant said.

Gallant said that the key-card system is more "flexible" than traditional metal locks and keys.

"If you need to change access, it's easier than cutting a lot of keys because you can basically do it in real-time," he said.

Gallant said the Science Center has worked closely with the departments in the building to ensure a smooth transition to the new system.

"We've worked with them to come up with reasonable schemes for opening and closing hours, [as well as] who should have access [and] who shouldn't have access," he said.

Gallant added that he does not anticipate any problems with the new system.

"Getting it installed and checked and up and running has been slow," he said. "If there are problems, I'm sure they will surface in the first couple of days."