New HDS Director Will Improve Food

By The CRIMSON Staff

Just when you thought American chop suey was a permanent fixture in your diet, there may be hope. Last week the University named Ted A. Mayer director of Harvard Dining Services (HDS), and we are optimistic that he is up to the challenge.

Mayer comes to Cambridge with a solid record and a good reputation. He has spent the last eight years as director of dining services at Middlebury College where he has been relatively popular with students. And in explaining what his priorities will be when he arrives at Harvard, Mayer has said all the right things. He has stressed as top priorities the reworking of Loker Commons to bring the facility's menu in line with student preferences, the maintenance of a dialogue between HDS and undergraduates and the careful monitoring of students' tastes.

Mayer's plans for Loker Commons are especially encouraging. He has voiced interest in bringing fast food to Harvard, acknowledging the resounding preference of students as indicated in a recent survey. If Loker is ever to become a successful student center, it must do a better job catering to the appetites of undergraduates.

More important than his attitude toward Loker, however, is his approach to the 21 meals a week to which all students are entitled-whether they like it or not. "Food's a big thing," Mayer has said, and we agree. "It's got to be good, it's got to be nutritious, it's got to be what students want, within reason."

We cannot argue with such sound ideals. At the same time, we are also too aware of the fact that dining hall food has seen better days at Harvard, and so we have a number of reasonable suggestions to offer the incoming director that will be sure to help him realize his culinary goals.

First, HDS should improve the quality of meat, fruit and vegetables they serve to students on a daily basis; these staples are far too often below an acceptable standard. Second, Mayer should make it a priority to significantly improve the meager options currently available to campus vegetarians. Third, Mayer should move to improve the quality of the "ethnic food" served in the dining halls. All too often these well-intentioned attempts end up defaming rather than fostering appreciation for the world's fine culinary traditions.

Finally, the chickwich, which has itself become a veritable Harvard tradition, should be rewarded for its service by joining the ranks of the cheeseburger and the vegan burrito as a permanent alternate meal selection.

If Mayer heeds these simple suggestions, he will be well on the road to achieving the high standards for Harvard's food that hungry students deserve and to which he has declared himself dedicated.