Harvard Runners Represent

By Richard B. Tenorio

It was his first time running in the Boston Marathon, and Chuck Hughes '90 felt his competitive juices flowing.

"It was the feeling you get before you go into battle, whether it's the start of a hockey game or a meeting," Hughes said. "The anticipation is the greatest feeling I had of all."

Hughes, who works in the admissions office, was one of many runners with Harvard ties. Hughes started the race with senior Shira Springer, Dean of Admissions William Fitzsimmons and Steve Hermsdorf '95. Fitzsimmons' wife, Pat, also ran, as did Bob Clark, father of Daphne Clark '97.

"It was my first time, and, quite frankly, it might be my last," Hughes said. "The finish was a relief. I don't know if I was the conqueror or the conqueror, but I finished and that's really what it's about."

Hughes, who did not start marathon training until after January 1, finished in 3:58.

"It's kind of neat to break the four-hour barrier," Hughes said.

Springer, a Crimson editor, finished in 3:36. Hermsdorf closed in just 45 seconds later. Mike Jalkut '99, also a Crimson editor, finished in 3:40. This discounted the five minutes he spent walking across the starting line, as he started at the back of the crowd.

Jalkut described Heartbreak Hill as a major obstacle.

"You reach it just as you hit the wall," Jalkut said. "You're going on nothing."

"The toughest part for me was keeping mentally focused," Springer said. "There were times when I felt myself slowing down and getting off-pace. 26.2 miles is a long time to concentrate."

Springer, Hughes, and Yuki Bowman '98 all drew inspiration from the crowds.

"The crowds are so supportive," Bowman said. "They pick you up and make you forget you're really tired. It was awesome seeing them coming together to watch this big event and the crazy people running."

Most deafening were the crowds at Wellesley College, Springer said.

"Steve and I could hear them from a half-mile away," Springer said. "We were like, 'Wow, this is insane.'"

To further stimulate the runners, both the "Rocky" theme and "Chariots of Fire" were played.

Refreshments also helped.

"I was grabbing oranges from little kids, and they got so excited," Hughes said. "I gave them highfives. Refreshments are the key to running a race. I wanted to cool down as I got closer to Boston."

After the race, Hughes "got cold really fast."

Mylar blankets were distributed to runners upon their completion.

A proctor in Holworthy Hall, Hughes "looked vigilantly" for his entryway students.

"I thought of them," Hughes said. "They made me proud. I didn't want them to see me walking."

Eric Groman '00, one of Hughes' proctees, made the trip but did not spot Hughes.

However, he did see an Elvis impersonator finish under four hours. Groman also saw runners impersonating the Blues Brothers.

Nicolle Snyder '98 also recognized Elvis, as well as a runner in a rainbow-colored wig. However, she said her main reason for coming was to see her friend Caitlin Hurley '97.

"I was so excited when I saw Caitlin," Snyder said. "She was doing so well. It looked like she was not having trouble at all."

After spotting Hurley, Snyder and Jenny Martin '97, Hurley's roommate, followed the Marathon by car for three miles. Further pursuit was halted, as Snyder had section.

Martin had watched the Marathon in past years, but yesterday was a different experience for her.

"When I saw the people in the back, it gave me a new perspective," Martin said. "I realized how hard people were working. I was amazed with the number of people who were running."