Faculty Remember Bundy

Former Dean of FAS, Presidential Adviser Memorialized

By Alexandra S. Morrison

Faculty gathered yesterday at Memorial Church to remember McGeorge Bundy, former dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS), professor of Government and adviser to two presidents, who died September 16, 1996.

The Reverend Peter J. Gomes, Plummer professor of Christian morals, conducted the service, during which former colleagues and present administrators reflected on their work with Bundy.

"As a designer of the University, McGeorge Bundy brought a legacy which all those who followed must simply aspire to," said Jeremy R. Knowles, dean of FAS.

Stanley H. Hoffman, Buttenweiser University professor and one of Bundy's former students, praised his generosity, grace, "sense of fun" and innovation, emphasizing his introduction of the Freshman Seminar Program and the interdisciplinary concentration Social Studies.

"He was a very considerate and brilliant administrator of the Faculty who left an extraordinary mark on Harvard," said Archie C. Epps III, dean of students.

Provost Albert Carnesale said that Bundy made it possible for him to come to Harvard.

"I first came to Harvard in 1979 to be associate director of the Program of Science and International Affairs which was funded by the Ford Foundation, so if not for the action of McGeorge Bundy I wouldn't have been at Harvard in the first place," Carnesale said.

Bundy became active in public life after he left Harvard in 1961, serving as National Security Advisor to President John F. Kennedy '40 and President Lyndon B. Johnson, 14-year President of the Ford Foundation and professor of history at New York University.

"Mac's was a life of large aspiration and large accomplishment" said Carl Kaysen '47, professor emeritus of science technology and society and Bundy's friend for more than 50 years.

Bundy was the youngest ever Dean of FAS, gaining the job at the age of 34.

But despite his youth, Bundy did not disappoint. He was responsible for creating the Advanced Standing program and officials credit him for successfully encouraging more students to pursue honors.